David Pendleton

Default What happens when a belt breaks?

Hello all.

I have a Mercruiser 5.7L EFI. This engine has a rather large serpentine
belt. I have a spare, but I've never broken one.

What happens when this belt breaks? Loss of power steering? Electrical
power? Worse?

Thanks all.

--
ROT-13 my email address to reply directly

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:13:41 -0500, "David Pendleton"
wrote:

Hello all.

I have a Mercruiser 5.7L EFI. This engine has a rather large serpentine
belt. I have a spare, but I've never broken one.

What happens when this belt breaks? Loss of power steering? Electrical
power? Worse?

Thanks all.

All and no water flow - heat buildup - kablooey on the engine.

I would advise looking closely at the belt system and maybe even
taking it on and off for practice - it's not necessarily hard to do,
but you can't so it with a Leatherman - carry a small tool box with
the tools necessary to do the job.

Later,

Tom

Insomniac

Yes, engine overheats. If it's a newer boat an engine alarm will sound. My
2001 Maxum had a misaligned pulley when I purchased it. Belt came off about
half a dozen times. The engine manual showed a completely different belt
configuration but I figured it out eventually. I made my own diagram in the
back of the book. Got pretty fast at re-looping the belt by the time my
dealer got it fixed. It taught me how reliant you are on the belt and I
always carry a spare now!

"David Pendleton" wrote in message
Hello all.

I have a Mercruiser 5.7L EFI. This engine has a rather large serpentine
belt. I have a spare, but I've never broken one.

What happens when this belt breaks? Loss of power steering? Electrical
power? Worse?

Thanks all.

--
ROT-13 my email address to reply directly

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Hello all.

I have a Mercruiser 5.7L EFI. This engine has a rather large serpentine
belt. I have a spare, but I've never broken one.

What happens when this belt breaks?

You start rowing.....

ROTFL!!!!!

Later,

Tom

David Pendleton

That's actually what I meant by my question. I sometimes make 45+ mile runs
on L. Superior. Between the wind and the engine noise, I wasn't sure I would
hear a problem if the belt broke.

I suspect I'd lose my power steering. I do have a temperature alarm, so I
guess I would have to rely on that.

Thanks.

Dave

"Insomniac" wrote in message
[...]

Mikkilla

Lose of power steering.. charging, waterpumping. and once you noticed your Temp
gauge spiking.. its to late you done damage to the motor.

In article , says...

Hello all.

I have a Mercruiser 5.7L EFI. This engine has a rather large serpentine
belt. I have a spare, but I've never broken one.

What happens when this belt breaks? Loss of power steering? Electrical
power? Worse?

Thanks all.

--
ROT-13 my email address to reply directly

Insomniac

The alarm on my boat is pretty loud so there is no question. And yes, lost
power steering etc. Dealer told me it's rare to have a belt break and it
wasn't necessary to carry a spare but for the price of a belt I think it's
worth it.

"Insomniac" wrote in message
[...]

M Gallagher

To most of us that cruise, the idea of going anywhere without a full set of
spares is impossible. I carry spare engine, genset belts, impellers, fuel
filters, air filters, oil filters, props and a full set of tools. It cost
less than a thousand dollars for the spares and Sea Tow can make that seem
cheap. Don't forget flashlights and batteries!
Get the spares.
Mike

Alternator Belt Sizing Wayne.B General 6 July 23rd 04 04:48 PM
Alternator Belt Sizing Wayne.B Boat Building 6 July 23rd 04 04:48 PM
Alternator belt Joe Blizzard General 2 March 24th 04 02:18 PM
My alt. belt breaks alot Help please Wildest Dream General 25 October 15th 03 10:09 PM