Wayne.B

Default Alternator Belt Sizing

My port side engine has a loose alternator belt, and the alternator is
at the outer limit of its adjustment. I took a look at the belt today
hoping to find some markings on it regarding size, type, etc. No
luck. Short of removing the belt and taking it to a parts dealer, is
there any other way of sizing this thing? Who makes the best belts in
terms of durability? Are there different grades, and if so, how are
they specified?

Thanks in advance.
Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:13:41 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

My port side engine has a loose alternator belt, and the alternator is
at the outer limit of its adjustment. I took a look at the belt today
hoping to find some markings on it regarding size, type, etc. No
luck. Short of removing the belt and taking it to a parts dealer, is
there any other way of sizing this thing? Who makes the best belts in
terms of durability? Are there different grades, and if so, how are
they specified?

Thanks in advance.

Wrap a string over the outer surface of the belt, and mark the passing
point with an ink line. That's the overall length.
Take a six inch rule and measure the widest width of a pulley flange.
Note if the belt has teeth.
Go to an autoparts shop and ask them to match the dimensions,
or go a little shorter (they often stock in 1/2 inch length
incrememnts.)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Garland Gray II

Gates is a good name in belts; you can get them from NAPA. They make one w/
Kevlar, but beware there is a minimum pulley size (something like 3 1/4
inch) because they wear out FAST if you go below that. Found out about the
minimum size after 2 belts wore out.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news

My port side engine has a loose alternator belt, and the alternator is
at the outer limit of its adjustment. I took a look at the belt today
hoping to find some markings on it regarding size, type, etc. No
luck. Short of removing the belt and taking it to a parts dealer, is
there any other way of sizing this thing? Who makes the best belts in
terms of durability? Are there different grades, and if so, how are
they specified?

Thanks in advance.

Rod McInnis

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news

Short of removing the belt and taking it to a parts dealer, is
there any other way of sizing this thing?

Any reason you don't want to take the belt off first?

I would recommend taking the belt off just before you head home, find a
replacement during the week, put it back on first thing when you return.

If it is the outside belt it should be a simple, quick process. My luck
generally has it the inside belt, in which case I would recommend taking
both belts off and replacing them both. You can save the old belt as an
emergency spare.

Most auto parts stores have a belt measuring device (assuming the belt is
still in one piece). Consider that the old belt has worn/stretched so you
should go a size smaller on the new belt.

Once you establish what the proper size belt is, right it down some place!
I always keep a log of such things, makes it easy to reference what oil
filter, fuel filter, belts, etc. that I need.

Rod

Wayne.B

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:20:49 -0700, "Rod McInnis"
wrote:

Once you establish what the proper size belt is, right it down some place!
I always keep a log of such things, makes it easy to reference what oil
filter, fuel filter, belts, etc. that I need.

Good idea, I need to start doing that. The new boat has about a
zillion different filters, pumps, hoses, compressors, etc.

Wayne.B

wrote:
Most auto parts stores have a belt measuring device (assuming the belt is
still in one piece). Consider that the old belt has worn/stretched so you
should go a size smaller on the new belt.

Rod, that was good advice. My local NAPA place nailed it exactly on
the first try.