Rod McInnis

Default Alternator Belt Sizing

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news

Short of removing the belt and taking it to a parts dealer, is
there any other way of sizing this thing?

Any reason you don't want to take the belt off first?

I would recommend taking the belt off just before you head home, find a
replacement during the week, put it back on first thing when you return.

If it is the outside belt it should be a simple, quick process. My luck
generally has it the inside belt, in which case I would recommend taking
both belts off and replacing them both. You can save the old belt as an
emergency spare.

Most auto parts stores have a belt measuring device (assuming the belt is
still in one piece). Consider that the old belt has worn/stretched so you
should go a size smaller on the new belt.

Once you establish what the proper size belt is, right it down some place!
I always keep a log of such things, makes it easy to reference what oil
filter, fuel filter, belts, etc. that I need.

Rod