Brian D

Default glue for sticking up 3mil plywood in cabin?

Sounds to me like big galvanized lag bolts would be your best bet. (haha)

I'd almost vote for 5200, but even though it is advertised as an adhesive
caulk, it is designed to be backed up with screws or other fasteners. The
Liquid Nails is a good bet, but it will harden up pretty good over time.
But at least it's designed to work alone. Got any handrails on the roof?
If so, maybe you can use 5200 and run screws into the handrails (if wood) or
bolts (if metal)? The 5200 may work alone if you give the wood good
coverage. It never gets rock hard, and it's a 'female dog' to remove later
should you ever need to, and be prepared to leave it clamped up for the
better part of a month if you want to rely on it when you release those
shower curtain rods (good idea BTW). Gorilla Glue works too, but again
....like Liquid Nails, it'll harden up over time. Both will fill gaps
reasonably. The true glues will likely do just what your first glue did
....hold up quite well, but harden up and be tough to remove later on if you
end up doing this job again. The 5200 flexes with temperature and moisture
better, is a PITA to remove, but I've never used it alone ...as an adhesive.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Brian

"1088" wrote in message
Day of sun, day of rain, day of sun, day of rain,.. I'm back inside
the breathtakingly spacious cabin of my 23' yacht with it's many
luxury appointments getting ready to stick up some stained plywood
panels I made. It's 3mil 1088 Okume ply. (hence the rakish moniker for
this phase of my "refit".)
The back of the old stuff was just smeared in a haphazard pattern with
a pale yellow paste that dried hard as iron and has to be ground off
with diligence and firm language wearing haz-mat headgear. The boat
was built at Cowes.
So,.. I'm gluing plywood to rough, scabby old fiberglass. What would
be easy to apply for a person working alone? I use telescoping plastic
shower curtain rods for clamps, or I guess it would be the reverse of
clamps. Liquid nails? 5200, 4200, sikoflex 216, 61a? Cheap, good and
readily available would be great but if anything buzzes or rattles
when the engine runs I will jump overboard.
Ok, the spell check is complete, I had 6 errors.

David Flew

Sound very similar to my replacing rotten ply in my cabin top - in this case
the goop was pink, the panels I'm sticking up are 3mm but are going to be
painted, and the backing material is the remains of the polyester/glass skin
over the rotten plywood. Also doing this alone, done the angle grinder
thing, I've been using my telescoping paint roller extension handle and lots
of other stuff to hold the new panels in place.

I need some strength here, and I can't guarantee that it won't get wet in
the future, so I've been using epoxy with sanding filler ( microspheres ).
Painting both sides of the bonding surfaces with straight epoxy, then
spreading enough epoxy / filler mix so that hopefully there are minimal
voids once I push the new panels into place. I don't care about squeeze-out
because I'm painting the final panel, it would need more care and masking if
you wanted the front of the panel to be pretty. At least with this method
you can do a test fit, you have plenty of working time, and you can control
the consistency of the goop.
David
"1088" wrote in message
[...]

Brian Whatcott

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:09:47 GMT, 1088 wrote:

[...]

Heavy Duty Liquid Nails (not the regular product) is about the right
speed for you, I suspect.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Lew Hodgett

1088 wrote:

So,.. I'm gluing plywood to rough, scabby old fiberglass. What would
be easy to apply for a person working alone?

Talk to SikaFlex tech service.

5200 would not be my choice for this application.

Lew
Mac

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:09:47 +0000, 1088 wrote:

[...]

Just how rough is this surface? Could you conceivably fair it first, then
use contact cement? This would make clamping a lot easier. You will
need an organic vapor respirator for the job. Or a positive pressure
haz-mat suit. ;-) With the contact cement, after applying it to both
surfaces and letting it dry for a while, you would just have to apply firm
pressure for a minute or so and you'd be done.

If you are not going to fair the surface first, then maybe a silicone
sealant? Or maybe you could still use contact cement. I can't promise it
won't rattle, though. Hey, maybe you could glue up some foam first,
instead of fairing, then glue up the wood. You could either use contact
cement, or that super strong 3M spray adhesive. What is it? 3M 77 or
something. You will still want the respirator.

As another poster said, I would definitely not use anything that cures
slowly (e.g., 5200).

--Mac

Evan Gatehouse

1088 wrote:

So,.. I'm gluing plywood to rough, scabby old fiberglass. What would
be easy to apply for a person working alone? I use telescoping plastic
shower curtain rods for clamps, or I guess it would be the reverse of
clamps. Liquid nails? 5200, 4200, sikoflex 216, 61a? Cheap, good and

Try spreading your glue in patches and using a hot melt glue
gun to put a few strategic globs of hot melt glue to
temporarily hold it in place while the real glue cures

Evan Gatehouse
Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak

Uzytkownik "1088" napisal w wiadomosci
[...]

Twenty years back from now, I have used jam-like polyurethane glue to
remount failed factory-mounted ceiling panel in my Fiat 126P automobile.
After smearing old panel completely with this superglue, I lifted it with
bare hands, pressed to the roof, and presto, it held!
No solvents, no grinding, just pure chemistry.
This glue is now available almost everywhere to help amateur shoe repair!
Kind regards!
Tadeusz

Terry Spragg

1088 wrote:
[...]

When I lined my SC22 with underlay, I rough scratch sanded cleaned
with acetone, then used construction adhesive, backed up around some
edges with trim of verola door jamb material (looks like mahogany)
screwed on from the outside with SS countersunk robertson head
screws. Neat job. Some shelf hangars were hung by bolts down
through the side decks.

On the Tyler 29, some verola wood strips below the windows were
screwed on from the outside, and helped form fronts for under deck
bins. Worked out beautiful, and cheap. Some areas around the
window were left with the old fabric finish. Not all done, yet.

Terry K