David Flew

Sound very similar to my replacing rotten ply in my cabin top - in this case
the goop was pink, the panels I'm sticking up are 3mm but are going to be
painted, and the backing material is the remains of the polyester/glass skin
over the rotten plywood. Also doing this alone, done the angle grinder
thing, I've been using my telescoping paint roller extension handle and lots
of other stuff to hold the new panels in place.

I need some strength here, and I can't guarantee that it won't get wet in
the future, so I've been using epoxy with sanding filler ( microspheres ).
Painting both sides of the bonding surfaces with straight epoxy, then
spreading enough epoxy / filler mix so that hopefully there are minimal
voids once I push the new panels into place. I don't care about squeeze-out
because I'm painting the final panel, it would need more care and masking if
you wanted the front of the panel to be pretty. At least with this method
you can do a test fit, you have plenty of working time, and you can control
the consistency of the goop.
David
"1088" wrote in message
Day of sun, day of rain, day of sun, day of rain,.. I'm back inside
the breathtakingly spacious cabin of my 23' yacht with it's many
luxury appointments getting ready to stick up some stained plywood
panels I made. It's 3mil 1088 Okume ply. (hence the rakish moniker for
this phase of my "refit".)
The back of the old stuff was just smeared in a haphazard pattern with
a pale yellow paste that dried hard as iron and has to be ground off
with diligence and firm language wearing haz-mat headgear. The boat
was built at Cowes.
So,.. I'm gluing plywood to rough, scabby old fiberglass. What would
be easy to apply for a person working alone? I use telescoping plastic
shower curtain rods for clamps, or I guess it would be the reverse of
clamps. Liquid nails? 5200, 4200, sikoflex 216, 61a? Cheap, good and
readily available would be great but if anything buzzes or rattles
when the engine runs I will jump overboard.
Ok, the spell check is complete, I had 6 errors.