Heikki

Default Crazy design project

Hi,

I have a crazy design project, for which I would like to hear critical
comments from this newsgroup.

The project is about designing a small schooner, about 7 meters (21'). It
all started last summer when we (me and my father Lauri) started to wonder
about a really small ship, as opposed to a large boat. A design project got
started, and is still going strong. We may never build the boat, but at
least we want to design it properly, and learn as much as we can in the
process...

The thing is still very much under work, but I think it is ready enough to
let the world look at it - if nothing else, then for the comical value. We
have opened a web site for it, using a wiki, so if you like, you are more
than welcome to register as a user and write your comments directly on the
pages. I would also appreciate any and all comments by mail, or in this
newsgroup.

The project can be found at
http://schooner.lsd.dk

As with most web sites, this is somewhat out of date - the design is still
somewhat fluid, and things change faster than we can update the pages.
Currently Lauri is drawing the hull one more time, with more eye on a
plywood construction, and I am tuning the rig. The details of all of this
will change a lot, but the main lines should be in place now.

Looking forward to your comments!

Heikki

Terry Spragg

Heikki wrote:
[...]

It is not obvious to me, an unfamiliar wiki novice, how to go about
inputting stuff on the wiki, ease of which I thought was the real
idea behind it all.

As far as a steam engine is concerned, It would become the most
interesting part of the project for some. You might want to troll
for a hobby engineer.

For propulsion, another thread suggested a used jetski moter and
pump for boats generally. It seems it could be put wherever you
might have space, and while not as effificient as possible, might
still offer plenty of utility as an auxiliary.

A steerable water discharge would give an azipod advantage, possibly
with very limited space requirements. A gland like a prop shaft
packing might enable steering the pod, while a pipe valve
arrangement might provide reverse.

Terry K

Heikki

Terry Spragg wrote:

Heikki wrote:
I have a crazy design project, for which I would like to hear critical
comments from this newsgroup.
http://schooner.lsd.dk

It is not obvious to me, an unfamiliar wiki novice, how to go about
inputting stuff on the wiki, ease of which I thought was the real
idea behind it all.

There should be an 'Edit' link on every page. It ought to complain if you
have not registered as a user, and that complaint should link to a page
where you can create your account. I had to require registration to keep
out the worst spammers. Mail me directly if you have problems with this.

As far as a steam engine is concerned, It would become the most
interesting part of the project for some. You might want to troll
for a hobby engineer.

Yes, probably there are steam enthusiasts who would see that as the main
part of the project. For me the steam engine was just a side thought, too
weird to give serious consideration. We have decided on using a regular
outboard engine, in a well from inside the rear cabin (with suitable
ventilation and securely walled off from the cabin). Most of all, outboard
engines are easily available, affordable, and easily installed. We have
enough complications in the project already, so it makes sense to keep
things simple.

Thanks for your feedback!

Heikki