Robert Curtis

Default SOS Torch design project

Hi,
I'm an undergraduate designing a torch for use in an energency aboard a
ship, thus I envision it being used to signal to the shore or nearby
boats in the event of an emergency.

If anyone is willing to offer any suggestions, or experiences with
existing designs I would be extremely grateful. Especially invaluable
would be descriptions of how you would use such a torch - e.g.
proceedures and whether you might be wearing gloves, or have it
attached to your body in some way etc.

Thanks

Robert C

AC

Assuming you mean for once ship is abandoned, I'd suggest a strobe on the
head, but don't take it personally...

Should be activated on water entry, and last for 8 hrs min & most
importantly be able to be turned onn & off.

"Robert Curtis" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm an undergraduate designing a torch for use in an energency aboard a
ship, thus I envision it being used to signal to the shore or nearby boats
in the event of an emergency.

If anyone is willing to offer any suggestions, or experiences with
existing designs I would be extremely grateful. Especially invaluable
would be descriptions of how you would use such a torch - e.g. proceedures
and whether you might be wearing gloves, or have it attached to your body
in some way etc.

Thanks

Robert C

Robert Curtis

So I'd want two functions: automatic SOS (also activated by being in
contact with water) and normal on/off yes?

Thanks

Robert C

Earth World citizen

yes but consider this:
there are ways to be found by searching parties already and your idea about
a light doesnt fit in todays electronic age.
better go for something that has the assistance of all the existant safety
stuff ......
and it has to be able to do all your average flare does anyway .
on off ,(keep a lot of them and light one every time you need ......-simple
but efective on -off button...
and also has to make hot meals and coffee if it cold or juice if it hot
And it would help to have a warming function to keep you warm when in
water....
but then you are talking about a com-plete solution not just a torch ......