Roger Mcmillan

Default Attaching teak decks to aluminum

I want to fit teak decks to my 37ft aluminum sailboat. Does anyone know
whether I can fasten from below, to save all that tedious plug cutting,
fitting and sanding?

I thought that with aluminum it would be quite strong if I drilled from
underneath - the fasteners should really only be required until the bedding
compound sets.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Rogermac

Keith

Why drill thousands of holes in a perfectly good deck? There are adhesives
around that will allow you to just glue it in place.

--

Keith
__
"Roger Mcmillan" wrote in message
I want to fit teak decks to my 37ft aluminum sailboat. Does anyone know
whether I can fasten from below, to save all that tedious plug cutting,
fitting and sanding?

I thought that with aluminum it would be quite strong if I drilled from
underneath - the fasteners should really only be required until the
bedding compound sets.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Rogermac

Teak

"Roger Mcmillan" wrote in message
I want to fit teak decks to my 37ft aluminum sailboat. Does anyone know
whether I can fasten from below, to save all that tedious plug cutting,
fitting and sanding?

I thought that with aluminum it would be quite strong if I drilled from
underneath - the fasteners should really only be required until the

bedding
compound sets.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Rogermac

You have a watertight deck now, don't drill through it, glue your deck down
to your aluminum decks

To glue teak to aluminum use an aluminum etch primer first, then either 3M's
5200 adhesive or similar Sikaflex adhesives. Sikaflex has a new
caulking compound called 290 DC that are made for use with teak.

Granted, a sprung teak deck takes a bit more ingenuity to lay when relying
on weight to hold it down until set.
Other option is to glue plywood onto your aluminum deck and then hold a
sprung deck in place with a screw and washer in the caulking gap until set.

Regards...Ken

Peter Wiley

In article , Roger Mcmillan
wrote:

I want to fit teak decks to my 37ft aluminum sailboat. Does anyone know
whether I can fasten from below, to save all that tedious plug cutting,
fitting and sanding?

I thought that with aluminum it would be quite strong if I drilled from
underneath - the fasteners should really only be required until the bedding
compound sets.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Don't do it. You're going to take a waterproof deck made of the same
material as the rest of the hull and either glue timber to it or drill
*lots* of holes from underneath.

The first method - glueing - is going to result in differential
expansion of the timber & aluminium. Sooner or later you *will* get
delamination, water ingress and probable poultice corrosion of the
aluminium.

The second method is just so idiotic that it doesn't bear
contemplating. You'll still have movement of the timber vs metal but
now you'll not need to wait till the al deck corrodes thru, you've
provided thousands of holes to let water into the interior. It *will*
leak, it's only a matter of time, and when it does finding the source
of the leak will be damn near impossible, and basically unfixable.

If you want a wooden deck, buy a boat designed for one. The proper way
to do it for a metal hull is a bond beam with waterway around the hull
topsides then a conversion to metal or wooden deck beams, a plywood sub
deck sealed with a waterproof membrane and then a teak covering. It'll
still leak, most likely, and it'll still be problematic WRT corrosion
around the peerimeter where the ply laps the metal waterway strip, but
at least you have a chance of keeping the leaks isolated & under
control.

When shopping for a boat, if I saw one with an abortion like you want
to do, I'd either walk away instantly or discount the price to cover
redoing the deck to designer spec. Keep the resale in mind.

PDW
Bruce

"Roger Mcmillan" wrote in message
I want to fit teak decks to my 37ft aluminum sailboat. Does anyone know
whether I can fasten from below, to save all that tedious plug cutting,
fitting and sanding?

I thought that with aluminum it would be quite strong if I drilled from
underneath - the fasteners should really only be required until the

bedding
compound sets.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Rogermac

Hi Roger,

I'm in Thailand and keep a boat in Phuket.

Recently an aluminum 45 ft. boat was in the slip next to me and had a
teak deck installed.

The builder glued the teak down using one of the sikaflex adhesives --
I don't remember which one but apparently if you research the sika
site they specify the use of one of their adhesives for teak deck
installation. In addition they have specific instructions for using
the black sealant that seals the seams.

The Thai company that did the installation has done several in the
marina with good results.

In addition there was a super yacht arrived here from a re-fit done in
Australia with some sort of problems with a teak deck installed there.
The Australian company flew in a team to re-lay the deck and in
talking with them it appears they they no longer use screws to install
teak decks. Only adhesives.

The thought of millions of screw holes in my brand new aluminum deck
would send cold chills up and down my neck.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bangkok, Thailand

(brucatinetdorcodotth)

Roger Mcmillan

OK, I get the message. Don't drill holes in the deck! The designer also
muttered something about "all that weight topside". Teak decks do look good
though! Thanks for all the input.
Cheers
Rogermac

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Roger Mcmillan
wrote:

[...]

DSK

Roger Mcmillan wrote:
I want to fit teak decks to my 37ft aluminum sailboat.

Why?

If you want to make it more top-heavy, just add some lead weights to the
mast. If you want to add a maintenance intensive feature with no
practical value that will have to be replaced periodically, maybe you
should consider getting a British sports car.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt John

Roger Mcmillan wrote:
I want to fit teak decks to my 37ft aluminum sailboat. Does anyone

know
whether I can fasten from below, to save all that tedious plug

cutting,
fitting and sanding?

I thought that with aluminum it would be quite strong if I drilled

from
underneath - the fasteners should really only be required until the

bedding
compound sets.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Rogermac

I wouldn't drill holes in your deck. I would glue marine grade ply wood
to the deck and then screw the teak deck to the ply wood. This is the
method used on large yachts.

Robert Larder

Capt John wrote:
Roger Mcmillan wrote:
I want to fit teak decks to my 37ft aluminum sailboat. Does anyone

snip

I wouldn't drill holes in your deck. I would glue marine grade ply
wood to the deck and then screw the teak deck to the ply wood. This
is the method used on large yachts.

Which is asking for trouble- sooner or later water will get in there,
between the teak/ply or the ply/ aluminum, forget the teak decks- Pleeeease!
Agreed they look great- but more trouble than they are worth.

Bob Larder

Teak

Hello Roger,

Treat your aluminum decks with an aluminum etching product and then adhere
your teak decking down with either a SikaFlex or 3m marine adhesive. No need
to drill through water tight decks. Sprung decks call for a more creative
approach, either use clamps and weight or adhere
the sprung deck onto plywood and then adhere to the aluminum.

...Ken

Teak deck removal Jim Boat Building 7 February 23rd 05 11:14 PM
Removal of teak decks Jim General 8 February 21st 05 11:28 PM
Teak Decks on a Passport Bart Cruising 14 May 1st 04 10:15 PM
Refinishing interior teak decks Keith Boat Building 0 April 5th 04 02:01 PM
Looked today ( Boat Choices) Wendy Cruising 82 February 9th 04 02:57 PM