Jim

Default Removal of teak decks

Lots of rain in California this winter. I have very few leaks compared
to most, but I'm continually fixing little deck leaks.

I have come to the realization that I should remove the teak decks on my
fiberglass trawler. Good solid molded fiberglass decks underneath the
teak.

The teak is good shape, but I do not want to chase all the little leaks
for the rest of my life.

Anyone remove these things?

I've only seen one removal. They took a big scraper and scraped and
pried it off. I'm thinking of removing the 2000+ screws, one at a time.

Anyone removed their teak decks?

Jim

Don White

"Jim" wrote in message
nk.net...
snip
I've only seen one removal. They took a big scraper and scraped and
pried it off. I'm thinking of removing the 2000+ screws, one at a time.

Anyone removed their teak decks?

I'm sure you already have a good power drill/screwdriver unit. I prefer the
corded version...no problem with batteries being dead just when you need it.

Jim wrote:
Lots of rain in California this winter. I have very few leaks

compared
to most, but I'm continually fixing little deck leaks.

I have come to the realization that I should remove the teak decks on

my
fiberglass trawler. Good solid molded fiberglass decks underneath

the
teak.

The teak is good shape, but I do not want to chase all the little

leaks
for the rest of my life.

Anyone remove these things?

I've only seen one removal. They took a big scraper and scraped and
pried it off. I'm thinking of removing the 2000+ screws, one at a

time.

Anyone removed their teak decks?

Jim

You're going to have to patch screw 2000 holes in that fiberglass deck
underneath that teak. If it isn't non-skid now, (probably isn't) maybe
you could get away with filling all the holes and going over the works
wtih a non-skid layer.

Harry Krause

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:50:03 GMT, Jim wrote:

Lots of rain in California this winter. I have very few leaks compared
to most, but I'm continually fixing little deck leaks.

I have come to the realization that I should remove the teak decks on my
fiberglass trawler. Good solid molded fiberglass decks underneath the
teak.

The teak is good shape, but I do not want to chase all the little leaks
for the rest of my life.

Anyone remove these things?

I've only seen one removal. They took a big scraper and scraped and
pried it off. I'm thinking of removing the 2000+ screws, one at a time.

Anyone removed their teak decks?

Jim

We do that work at any of my 5 marinas. Drop me a pic, and Ill give
you a fair estimate.

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Jim :

1984 Albin 36, aft cabin. Decks are in good shape and solid.

YHBT. HAND.

Dan

--
Aerodrome (n) - British word for airport. About what you would expect from
a country that gives its airplanes names like Gypsy Moth and Fairey Battle

Jim

Marshall Banana wrote:

Also Sprach Jim :

1984 Albin 36, aft cabin. Decks are in good shape and solid.

YHBT. HAND.

Dan

YHBT? HAND?

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Jim :

YHBT? HAND?

What is this, 1994? You Have Been Trolled. Have A Nice Day.

Dan

--
A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least
expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

-- August 1993 issue, page 9, of PS magazine,
the Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 21 Feb 2005 23:11:03 GMT, Marshall Banana wrote:

Also Sprach Jim :

YHBT? HAND?

What is this, 1994? You Have Been Trolled. Have A Nice Day.

LOL!!!

Some folks haven't been around as long as we have Dan. :)

Later,

Tom

Teak deck removal Jim Boat Building 7 February 23rd 05 11:14 PM
Teak deck removal Jim Cruising 15 February 21st 05 11:51 PM
Teak Decks on a Passport Bart Cruising 14 May 1st 04 10:15 PM
Refinishing interior teak decks Keith Boat Building 0 April 5th 04 02:01 PM
Looked today ( Boat Choices) Wendy Cruising 82 February 9th 04 02:57 PM