Bart

Default Teak Decks on a Passport

Does anyone have any experience with teak decks on a Passport?
I've heard folks complain about them leaking. Since I'm boat shopping
I was wondering if I should even consider a Passport since it has teak
decks.

I also noticed most of them have a VW Pathfinder engine which I've
never heard of before.

Does anyone have any experience with Passport yachts even if not
related to the teak decks? Any info on the Passport would be
appreciated.

The boats look nice but I'm wondering if they are a maintenance
nightmare.
Lew Hodgett

"Bart" writes:

Does anyone have any experience with teak decks on a Passport?

Sooner or later, you will replace them. Involves more labor than money, but
expect at least $2K.

I also noticed most of them have a VW Pathfinder engine which I've
never heard of before.

Typical VW diesel, high RPM and has a rubber timing belt that you change
every 60,000 miles in a car.

I drove the wheels off a VW diesel rabbit.

I'd never put a VW diesel in a boat.

IMHO, add $10K for an engine change out.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Bobsprit

Sooner or later, you will replace them. Involves more labor than money, but
expect at least $2K.

Teak decks for just 2K???? I doubt it. Have them surveyed and carefully
consider how long you'll be sailing the boat. Depth of grooving on teak decks
or seam protrution are part indicators of serious wear.

RB

RB

Lew Hodgett

I previously wrote:

Sooner or later, you will replace them. Involves more labor than money,

but
expect at least $2K.

"Bobsprit" responds:

Teak decks for just 2K???? I doubt it.

Sorry about that, the $2K was to cover the cost of materials to REMOVE the
old teak and repair the glass decks.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Keith

I think Lew left out a zero! I'm thinking more like $20,000. Or you can just
put pickup truck bed liner over all of it.

--

Keith
__
"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Sooner or later, you will replace them. Involves more labor than money,

but
expect at least $2K.

Teak decks for just 2K???? I doubt it. Have them surveyed and carefully
consider how long you'll be sailing the boat. Depth of grooving on teak

decks
or seam protrution are part indicators of serious wear.

RB

RB

Keith

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Sooner or later, you will replace them. Involves more labor than money,

but
expect at least $2K.

Teak decks for just 2K???? I doubt it. Have them surveyed and carefully
consider how long you'll be sailing the boat. Depth of grooving on teak

decks
or seam protrution are part indicators of serious wear.

RB

RB

Refinishing interior teak decks Keith Boat Building 0 April 5th 04 02:01 PM
Looked today ( Boat Choices) Wendy Cruising 82 February 9th 04 03:57 PM
Teak Ruminations Wendy Cruising 0 February 4th 04 08:34 PM
Teak Surfing... doesn't anyone read the papers anymore??? Calif Bill General 0 July 22nd 03 06:53 AM