Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Epoxy over Gel coat troubles

I am repairing a fibreglass hull that has quite a few hairline cracks
and deep gouges over the hull. I sanded the hull using 180 grit wet &
dry and cleaned out the gouges using a small grinder. The hull has been
left to thoroughly dry for a few weeks after a good cleaning, and then
wiped over with acetone. I have applied some epoxy resin over a small
ares to test, the idea was for the resin to weep into the hairline
cracks and gouges to seal them before applying any required filler. I
used a roller to apply the resin to the hull and it looked good for a
couple of minutes, then it all went wrong. The resin formed hundreds of
little globules/islands and no amount of brushing or using a roller
would give me a smooth even coat.
What has happened???

Regards Bruce