Ron Thornton

Default epoxy bite to wood

What is a proper grit to prepare "A" faced ply (birch if it makes a
difference) for epoxy coating prior to painting.

Ron

JS

Now it is time to lay glass.

Haven't had a wood/glass bond let go yet.

I take it that glass directly on wood doesn't hold well? Why doesn't it
adhere as well without glass as with?

Lew Hodgett

"JS" writes:

I take it that glass directly on wood doesn't hold well? Why doesn't it
adhere as well without glass as with?

I don't have a clue. I described what works for me.

YMMV

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Glenn Ashmore

JS wrote:
Now it is time to lay glass.

Haven't had a wood/glass bond let go yet.

I take it that glass directly on wood doesn't hold well? Why doesn't
it adhere as well without glass as with?

It is better to put down a coat of epoxy first to fill pores so they
don't drag resin out of the glass. Epoxy adheres to most plywoods
extremely well but a light 2oz scrim of glass keeps the face veneers of
the plywood from checking and makes a more stable surface for paint.

AS to the original question, it depends on what you plan to do but the
grit for birch is not all that critical. For a clear varnish top coat I
would sand to the birch to #120 grit, apply the epoxy and scrim, fill
the scrim and sand to #180 grit. If using a marine paint I would go to
#80 and #120 respectively then apply the recommended high build primer
and sand to what ever the paint system recommends.

You would need to stay with a coarser grit for tougher to bond woods
like white oak and teak because you have to rely more on the mechanical
surface bond.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

William R. Watt

Glenn Ashmore ) writes:

You would need to stay with a coarser grit for tougher to bond woods
like white oak and teak because you have to rely more on the mechanical
surface bond.

I've read that the reason epoxy bonds well to wood is that it bonds at the
molecular level, the mollecules of curing epoxy being the same size or
something as the molecules of wood. So long as the surface of the wood is
clean and dry it doesn't need to be sanded for adhesion, except as noted
above in the case of woods with incompatible resins. Otherwise you only
sand if you want a smoother surface for the finish.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
sponsor: National Capital FreeNet, Ottawa's free community network
warning: non-freenet email must contain "notspam" in subject or its returned

bioengineer@

On 8 Jul 2003 14:37:46 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:

Glenn Ashmore ) writes:

You would need to stay with a coarser grit for tougher to bond woods
like white oak and teak because you have to rely more on the mechanical
surface bond.

I've read that the reason epoxy bonds well to wood is that it bonds at the
molecular level, the mollecules of curing epoxy being the same size or
something as the molecules of wood. So long as the surface of the wood is
clean and dry it doesn't need to be sanded for adhesion, except as noted
above in the case of woods with incompatible resins. Otherwise you only
sand if you want a smoother surface for the finish.

I don't think that is quite right, as in molecules bonding?
The word attraction, or resistance to surface tension, may be the
better term. - So you looking at wetting agents, and surface tension.

As in bonding, - would mean the epoxy is disintegrating, or migrating,
as in solution - which is want you wouldn't want.
What you would want is an ability to penetrating through the cell
walls. - As in its saturation ability.
In other words the chains can slip through the holes, and fill up the
cavities, so you wouldn't want, oils and waxs in the timber, but it
can take in a bit of water, so a small amount of water in the timber
as a wetting agent can help its movement.

If you try to separate two layers, you will see as it tears out the
fibers, as to its penetration ability - and you could test on various
formula -( lack of fillers ) As the timber is seen as just another
fiber type filler.
As for sanding, its not that big a deal, - but that's relative to the
saturation point of your mix - and any fillers then added.- the more
filler the more sanding, the less saturation.
Andrew Puddifer

I have found that if you REALLY want something to stick and it's
important, it will not stick. However, all those little drips and gobs
that seem to end up where you don't want them tend to be there
forever...go figure!!
Backyard Renegade

wrote in message . ..
On 8 Jul 2003 14:37:46 GMT,
(William R.
Watt) wrote:

Glenn Ashmore ) writes:

[...]

I guess I was more trying to make a point with my simple terms. That
point being, I always take an extra minute to rough the surfaces up
too, especially in structural areas. For areas that will be hidden in
a joint or filled later I use two tools for roughing. One is a heavy
grit offset grinder and when I can't get that in there or for more
precice work I take an old jigsaw blade, add a little bend and draw
the blade over the surface in a cross hatch pattern. And just to take
it one step further, I always mix up a small batch and throughly wet
each surface then add filler to the rest of the batch and paint or
spread it on the wetted surfaces then fasten or clamp.

I have always reccomended using as little filler as necessary to hold
the goo in place. A lot of my construction calls for epoxy to act as
as adhesive (glue?, simple terms again) as opposed to just filler for
glass... I have always explained it as "let the epoxy do what epoxy
does"... anyway simple terms again, but now I have a better
understanding as to how it works.
Thanks, Scotty

Wood in new boat construction? stealth General 25 January 7th 04 10:03 PM
Composite stringer grids Rich Stern General 55 November 23rd 03 02:24 AM
Bow Eye Repair Mike General 8 October 15th 03 01:37 PM
Anyone know anything about Armorpoxy one part epoxy paint? CaptSchark General 1 October 15th 03 12:18 PM
Lumber questions Russ B Boat Building 10 July 9th 03 12:29 PM