Paul Oman

I am repairing a fibreglass hull that has quite a few hairline cracks
and deep gouges over the hull. I sanded the hull using 180 grit wet &
dry and cleaned out the gouges using a small grinder. The hull has been
left to thoroughly dry for a few weeks after a good cleaning, and then
wiped over with acetone. I have applied some epoxy resin over a small
ares to test, the idea was for the resin to weep into the hairline
cracks and gouges to seal them before applying any required filler. I
used a roller to apply the resin to the hull and it looked good for a
couple of minutes, then it all went wrong. The resin formed hundreds of
little globules/islands and no amount of brushing or using a roller
would give me a smooth even coat.
What has happened???

Regards Bruce

---------------

I can answer you with confidence...

some epoxies, including at least one that we carry, have excessive surface
tension and will bead up if applied as a thin coat (like brushing it on) on
a smooth surface. Fix: either make the surface a lot rougher or switch to a
different epoxy. Not sure, but adding pigment or 'filler' to the epoxy
might also solve the surface tension issue with the epoxy.

regards
paul

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include
a free trip around the Sun every year."

PAUL OMAN Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.
Frog Pond Hollow - 48 Wildwood Dr
Pittsfield NH 03263

http://www.epoxyproducts.com