YSTay

Default help needed with matt paints!

Hello all,
I was hoping that some of you may have a solution for me:

I require a flat black paint for a fiberglass surface (gel coat). All the
paints I have tried use flattening agents which scratch VERY easily. If you
run a fingernail across the paint, you will leave a shiny streak where the
flattening agent has been worn off. It doesn't take long for the paint to
look very old indeed.
So far, I have tried Polyurethane 2 packs, acrylics, enamels, latex exterior
and lacquers. All of these use flattening agents which I suspect to be the
cause of the problem. Several years ago, I used a slow drying enamel which
did not use flattening agents (was matt even when wet). This was good paint
and pretty scratch resistant but I can't get it any more. Any ideas? How
about if I used metal flake or some other additive to flatten the paint?

Thanks in advance,

Arnold

YSTay

Nah, paint should be smooth not having a 'Brushed" finish. But thanks..

"Brent Benson" wrote in message
Perhaps you could use hard gloss paint and flatten in afterwards with 320
grit wet sanding.

Brent

Mac

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:11:21 +0800, YSTay wrote:

[...]

You could mix graphite powder into epoxy, and use that as paint.

It may be a bit shiny at first, but after some time in the sun it will be
more matte. It is very scratch resistant, and fairly easy to apply. This
will be an expensive solution.

--Mac

Bruce on horizon

Polyurethane paint are shinny by nature and need flatten agents to reduce
the gloss. One of the easiest way to reduce the gloss is to add talc. 25%
will give you a semi-gloss and 50% will give a satin. The more talc, the
weaker the paint. The second characteristic of a polyurethane is the
isocyanides love for moisture. After the paint gets tack free, just mist
water on the surface and it will be flatter than any flattening agent and
you keep the strength of the finish.
Good Luck
Bruce
Shield Finishes and Nauticoat Marine Finish Systems
www.shieldfinishes.com
"YSTay" wrote in message
[...]

Brian Nystrom

Brent Benson wrote:
Perhaps you could use hard gloss paint and flatten in afterwards with
320 grit wet sanding.

Using 0000 bronze wool or fine Scotchbrite produces a smoother, more
consistent finish with less effort.
Brian Nystrom

YSTay wrote:
Wow! Good tip! I'll try it tomorrow with both PU and lacquers. I can
probably get hold of some talc but if not then baby powder.

Just remember that talc also changes the color. It will make black into
dark grey and turn white into a very light grey.
Bruce McCampbell

Wow that is some skinny paint. I bet you had to put on three or four
coats. When I am training a new painter, I like to keep it at 17 to 17.5
sec and accept the orange peel instead of the runs. When an aircraft is
painted, unlike boats, we have to worry about sagging around rivet heads...
so you need the paint a little stiffer. Our paint is high solids so after
you get accustomed to the paint, you can paint at about 16.5 sec and get
total coverage in two coats. On another note, I tried the new 414 aircap
on the Devilviss Plus gun and was amazed at the atomization it did. Try one
out and you will be blown away by the finish...it looked like a sheet of
glass.

BTW, great web site. When I was painting rich men's boats for a living, I
was using Interspray 900 (International brand) running it through a Dean
cup at 16 seconds. It was scary work.

Cheers,
Arnold

"Bruce on horizon" wrote in message
.. .
Polyurethane paint are shinny by nature and need flatten agents to reduce
the gloss. One of the easiest way to reduce the gloss is to add talc.
25% will give you a semi-gloss and 50% will give a satin. The more talc,
the weaker the paint. The second characteristic of a polyurethane is the
isocyanides love for moisture. After the paint gets tack free, just
mist water on the surface and it will be flatter than any flattening
agent and you keep the strength of the finish.
Good Luck
Bruce
Shield Finishes and Nauticoat Marine Finish Systems
www.shieldfinishes.com

YSTay

Hi Bruce,
we used a pure white primer when painting white boats (99% of boats were
white). Flash off was within a couple of minutes so I could go over it
pretty quickly. But full cure took 4 hours. I quickly learnt to apply the
flow coat till just a slight orange peel was left, then over the cure time,
it would flow out to glass....Sometimes! But painting white outdoors
usually meant an aching neck at the end of the day from looking at the paint
from as many angles as possible.
I was recently asked to paint a Cessna but I declined. They wanted some
paint I'd never used and like you said, the rivets were scary. I don't
fancy cutting back an entire plane. I faced that problem the first time I
sprayed a GRP hull with fake planking grooves.
I shoulda known about the moisture thing.... so many times I've had to
polish work because of rain (the weather here is so unpredictable). For my
current project, I think I'll let the stuff cure in a wet box since the
painting is done at the end of the day. I'll try and let you know what
happens.
I'll take a look at the devilbiss. Its about time I got a good set since I
sold the business with all the gear.
Once again, thank you.

Arnold

"Bruce McCampbell" wrote in message

Wow that is some skinny paint. I bet you had to put on three or four
coats. When I am training a new painter, I like to keep it at 17 to
17.5 sec and accept the orange peel instead of the runs. When an
aircraft is painted, unlike boats, we have to worry about sagging around
rivet heads... so you need the paint a little stiffer. Our paint is high
solids so after you get accustomed to the paint, you can paint at about
16.5 sec and get total coverage in two coats. On another note, I tried
the new 414 aircap on the Devilviss Plus gun and was amazed at the
atomization it did. Try one out and you will be blown away by the
finish...it looked like a sheet of glass.

Bruce on horizon

I got mine on ebay for $137...sometime you wonder if this stuff is hot when
the sellers sell it so cheap
Bruce

--
"YSTay" wrote in message
[...]

Are zap stoppers really needed on alternators? BOEING377 Electronics 36 March 19th 05 05:58 AM
Boat Sales Info Needed Russ General 0 January 17th 05 05:03 PM
Divers Needed for bottom cleaning & zincs in SF Bay Rob Boat Building 1 June 9th 04 04:22 PM
Scientists needed for TV series Kris Scheppe General 0 January 23rd 04 05:09 PM
GAULEY FESTIVAL VOLUNTEERS NEEDED DL Luinstra General 0 August 31st 03 06:49 PM