Mac

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:11:21 +0800, YSTay wrote:

Hello all,
I was hoping that some of you may have a solution for me:

I require a flat black paint for a fiberglass surface (gel coat). All the
paints I have tried use flattening agents which scratch VERY easily. If you
run a fingernail across the paint, you will leave a shiny streak where the
flattening agent has been worn off. It doesn't take long for the paint to
look very old indeed.
So far, I have tried Polyurethane 2 packs, acrylics, enamels, latex exterior
and lacquers. All of these use flattening agents which I suspect to be the
cause of the problem. Several years ago, I used a slow drying enamel which
did not use flattening agents (was matt even when wet). This was good paint
and pretty scratch resistant but I can't get it any more. Any ideas? How
about if I used metal flake or some other additive to flatten the paint?

Thanks in advance,

Arnold

You could mix graphite powder into epoxy, and use that as paint.

It may be a bit shiny at first, but after some time in the sun it will be
more matte. It is very scratch resistant, and fairly easy to apply. This
will be an expensive solution.

--Mac