Bruce McCampbell

Wow that is some skinny paint. I bet you had to put on three or four
coats. When I am training a new painter, I like to keep it at 17 to 17.5
sec and accept the orange peel instead of the runs. When an aircraft is
painted, unlike boats, we have to worry about sagging around rivet heads...
so you need the paint a little stiffer. Our paint is high solids so after
you get accustomed to the paint, you can paint at about 16.5 sec and get
total coverage in two coats. On another note, I tried the new 414 aircap
on the Devilviss Plus gun and was amazed at the atomization it did. Try one
out and you will be blown away by the finish...it looked like a sheet of
glass.

BTW, great web site. When I was painting rich men's boats for a living, I
was using Interspray 900 (International brand) running it through a Dean
cup at 16 seconds. It was scary work.

Cheers,
Arnold

"Bruce on horizon" wrote in message
.. .
Polyurethane paint are shinny by nature and need flatten agents to reduce
the gloss. One of the easiest way to reduce the gloss is to add talc.
25% will give you a semi-gloss and 50% will give a satin. The more talc,
the weaker the paint. The second characteristic of a polyurethane is the
isocyanides love for moisture. After the paint gets tack free, just
mist water on the surface and it will be flatter than any flattening
agent and you keep the strength of the finish.
Good Luck
Bruce
Shield Finishes and Nauticoat Marine Finish Systems
www.shieldfinishes.com