Brent Benson

Perhaps you could use hard gloss paint and flatten in afterwards with
320 grit wet sanding.

Brent

YSTay wrote:
Hello all,
I was hoping that some of you may have a solution for me:

I require a flat black paint for a fiberglass surface (gel coat). All the
paints I have tried use flattening agents which scratch VERY easily. If you
run a fingernail across the paint, you will leave a shiny streak where the
flattening agent has been worn off. It doesn't take long for the paint to
look very old indeed.
So far, I have tried Polyurethane 2 packs, acrylics, enamels, latex exterior
and lacquers. All of these use flattening agents which I suspect to be the
cause of the problem. Several years ago, I used a slow drying enamel which
did not use flattening agents (was matt even when wet). This was good paint
and pretty scratch resistant but I can't get it any more. Any ideas? How
about if I used metal flake or some other additive to flatten the paint?

Thanks in advance,

Arnold