Courtney Thomas

Default HOW2 refinish steel trailer ?

Looking for the simplest, least expensive way to rust inhibit and
refinish a [steel] sailboat trailer, after rust descaling.

If it matters, I'm thinking of doing this incrementally. It's 45' long.

Gratefully,

Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Robert or Karen Swarts

Slather it in Rust Mort. Prime with zinc chromate. Paint the color of your
choice.

Even easier, prime with Rustoleum rusty metal primer and paint with
Rustoleum color of your choice.

Bob Swarts

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Looking for the simplest, least expensive way to rust inhibit and refinish
a [steel] sailboat trailer, after rust descaling.

If it matters, I'm thinking of doing this incrementally. It's 45' long.

Gratefully,

Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

Paul Oman

Moisture cured urethanes - such as the aluminum filled Aluthane - will make it
look like
a freshly galvanize trailer.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers

Bob Swarts

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Looking for the simplest, least expensive way to rust inhibit and refinish
a [steel] sailboat trailer, after rust descaling.

If it matters, I'm thinking of doing this incrementally. It's 45' long.

Gratefully,

Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

habbi

I have tried a lot of products over the years and the best I found and the
easiest to use and clean up is called
"Blue Steel"
I get it from below
http://www.mermaidmarine.com/index.c...ductID=8930501

If that link won't work try www.mermaidmarine.com
and then choose Boat care then Paint and then scroll down until you see Blue
Steel.

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Looking for the simplest, least expensive way to rust inhibit and
refinish a [steel] sailboat trailer, after rust descaling.

If it matters, I'm thinking of doing this incrementally. It's 45' long.

Gratefully,

Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

Wayne.B

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:47:35 GMT, "habbi"
wrote:

I have tried a lot of products over the years and the best I found and the
easiest to use and clean up is called
"Blue Steel"

=====================================

Do you know if epoxy resin will adhere to it?

habbi

Why would you want to put epoxy resin over it?
If you want an 2 part epoxy rust paint for steel use Bar Rust 235 from Devoe
Coatings. It is excellent but the OP wanted something simple.

wrote:

I have tried a lot of products over the years and the best I found and

the
easiest to use and clean up is called
"Blue Steel"

=====================================

Do you know if epoxy resin will adhere to it?

Wayne.B

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:20:57 GMT, "habbi"
wrote:
Why would you want to put epoxy resin over it?
If you want an 2 part epoxy rust paint for steel use Bar Rust 235 from Devoe
Coatings. It is excellent but the OP wanted something simple.

I want a rust inhibiting and adhesion layer for subsequent glass lay
up (reinforcment and leak control). "Bar Rust" looks like a NZ
product, do you know if they sell in the US? Could not find any US
distributors online so far.

Courtney Thomas

Thank you for your reply.

What is Rust Mort ? Where do you get it and what does it cost ?

Where did you find a good price on zinc chromate ?

I don't know if it's a different product now, but when I was a kid I was
required to paint all kinds of metal with Rustoleum and the results were
lousy. It didn't seem to prevent rust at all. Comments ?

Cordially,
Courtney

Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:

[...]

Courtney Thomas

Thanks Paul.

Do you then paint over the Aluthane ?

How do the moisture cured urethanes work ?

Is there any particular advantage to this urethane, i.e. does it
actually interact with the steel to provide anything more than a
mechanical bond, like all other coatings with which I'm familiar ?

Do you sell it and if yes, what's it cost, please ?

Gratefully,

Courtney

Paul Oman wrote:

[...]

Courtney Thomas

Thank you for your reply.

I have used a product that sounds similar that is basically phosphoric
acid which costs about the same. I assume you are talking about the Blue
Steel primer which is about $20/liter.

How exactly do you use it, please ?

Thanks,
Courtney

habbi wrote:

[...]

how2 contact ALDURA sailboat trailer co. ? Courtney Thomas Cruising 1 October 13th 05 03:18 AM
Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
HOWTO load/unload 24K# steel schooner using no hydraulics trailer........... Courtney Thomas Boat Building 7 January 22nd 04 10:56 PM
Correct Trailer set up for towing my speedboat. Chester General 3 July 28th 03 12:55 PM