Courtney Thomas

Is the Bar Rust significantly more durable in it's rust prevention ?

Since I'm planning on scaling anyway, if I can then apply something
significantly more durable, I'd prefer to do so :-)

Cordially,

Courtney

habbi wrote:

Why would you want to put epoxy resin over it?
If you want an 2 part epoxy rust paint for steel use Bar Rust 235 from Devoe
Coatings. It is excellent but the OP wanted something simple.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:47:35 GMT, "habbi"
wrote:

I have tried a lot of products over the years and the best I found and

the

easiest to use and clean up is called
"Blue Steel"

=====================================

Do you know if epoxy resin will adhere to it?

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Paul Oman

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Thanks Paul.

Do you then paint over the Aluthane ?

YES YOU CAN THEN PAINT OVER THE ALUTHANE OR LEAVE IT AS THE ATTRACTIVE SILVERY COLOR
IT IS (I HAVE HEARD OF A METAL BRIDGE THAT WAS PAINTED WITH EPOXY AND THEN THE
ALUTHANE TO GIVE IT BACK THAT GALVANIZED METAL BRIDGE LOOK.

How do the moisture cured urethanes work ?

THE APPEAR TO BE ONE PART BUT ACTUALLY TAKE MOISTURE FROM THE AIR TO CURE - I THINK
THIS SWELLS UP THE MOLECULAR STRUCTURE THUS FORMING A DEFECT FREE SURFACE.

THEY ARE COMMONLY USED BY CONTRACTORS ON SURFACES THAT THEY CANNOT PREPARE
'PERFECTLY' WHICH USUALLY MEANS SAND BLASTING.

THE ALUMINUM IN THE ALUTHANE IS TINY PLATS THAT APPEAR TO STACK ON TOP OF EACH OTHER
THUS FORMING A VERY TOUGH NON POROUS SURFACE.

Is there any particular advantage to this urethane, i.e. does it
actually interact with the steel to provide anything more than a
mechanical bond, like all other coatings with which I'm familiar ?

IT BONDS LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE TO WOOD, METAL, FIBERGLASS. AS PROOF, SPILL A BIT
IN THE RIM OF THE CAN YOU YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET THE LID OFF IN ANY WAY SHORT
OF PUNCHING A HOLE IN IT. IF YOU GET IT ON YOUR SKIN AND DON'T REMOVE IMMEDIATELY
WITH SOLVENT, ITS THERE FOR A FEW DAYS...

A QUART WILL COVER ABOUT 100 SQUARE FEET.

Do you sell it and if yes, what's it cost, please ?

THIS ISN'T A COMMERICAL SITE.

I'VE TRIED HARD TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS AND NOT MAKE ANY SORT OF COMMERCIAL PLUG
HERE WHICH UPSETS EVERYONE INCLUDING ME!

SEARCH THE WEB WITH GOOGLE AND YOU SHOULD FIND IT.

PAUL

Gratefully,

Courtney

Paul Oman wrote:

Moisture cured urethanes - such as the aluminum filled Aluthane - will make it
look like
a freshly galvanize trailer.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers

Bob Swarts

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message

Looking for the simplest, least expensive way to rust inhibit and refinish
a [steel] sailboat trailer, after rust descaling.

If it matters, I'm thinking of doing this incrementally. It's 45' long.

Gratefully,

Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Robert or Karen Swarts

Rustmort is a rust converter (turns in into a hard, black substance). It is
available at most hardware/home building/paint stores. I don't know the
current price. I bought a gallon several years ago and am still using it.

I treated my Hobie trailer with Rustmort/Rustoleum primer/Rustoleum paint
two years ago. Still looks new.

Not sure there is a "good price" on zinc chromate.

I also haven't tried it, but Paul Oman has given me excellent advice in the
past, so I'd consider his approach also.

BS

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply.

What is Rust Mort ? Where do you get it and what does it cost ?

Where did you find a good price on zinc chromate ?

I don't know if it's a different product now, but when I was a kid I was
required to paint all kinds of metal with Rustoleum and the results were
lousy. It didn't seem to prevent rust at all. Comments ?

Cordially,
Courtney

Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:

Slather it in Rust Mort. Prime with zinc chromate. Paint the color of
your choice.

Even easier, prime with Rustoleum rusty metal primer and paint with
Rustoleum color of your choice.

Bob Swarts

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message

Looking for the simplest, least expensive way to rust inhibit and
refinish a [steel] sailboat trailer, after rust descaling.

If it matters, I'm thinking of doing this incrementally. It's 45' long.

Gratefully,

Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

habbi

It's parent company is ICI

http://www.icipaints.com/Home/Jsp/indexflash.htm
http://www.devoecoatings.com/

I found the best way to apply is to get 2 different colors and apply each
coat a different color and then you know you are getting a complete coat. I
use it Around salt water with 4-5 coats and it is excellent.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:20:57 GMT, "habbi"
wrote:
Why would you want to put epoxy resin over it?
If you want an 2 part epoxy rust paint for steel use Bar Rust 235 from

Devoe
Coatings. It is excellent but the OP wanted something simple.

I want a rust inhibiting and adhesion layer for subsequent glass lay
up (reinforcment and leak control). "Bar Rust" looks like a NZ
product, do you know if they sell in the US? Could not find any US
distributors online so far.

habbi

Yes, but the key is the number of coats. When I first used it I only put on
1 coat but after a year it started to rust. Since then I usually put on 4
coats and it shows no sign of corrosion at all. It is very wear resistant as
well. Also if there is a chip from it being hit very hard and the paint
comes off to the metal. The rust will not spread under the unaffected area.

wrote:

I have tried a lot of products over the years and the best I found and

the

easiest to use and clean up is called
"Blue Steel"

=====================================

Do you know if epoxy resin will adhere to it?

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

habbi

I remove any loose rust with a wire brush and then apply with a paint brush.
It goes on milky white and then dries to a clear color but makes the steel
underneath a blackish color. Make sure there is no grease or oil etc.. Wash
the brush out with water. The difference I found with this and phosphoric
acid is it leaves a hard clear coating when dry.

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply.

I have used a product that sounds similar that is basically phosphoric
acid which costs about the same. I assume you are talking about the Blue
Steel primer which is about $20/liter.

How exactly do you use it, please ?

Thanks,
Courtney

habbi wrote:

I have tried a lot of products over the years and the best I found and

the
easiest to use and clean up is called
"Blue Steel"
I get it from below

http://www.mermaidmarine.com/index.c...ductID=8930501

If that link won't work try www.mermaidmarine.com
and then choose Boat care then Paint and then scroll down until you see

Blue
Steel.

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message

Looking for the simplest, least expensive way to rust inhibit and
refinish a [steel] sailboat trailer, after rust descaling.

If it matters, I'm thinking of doing this incrementally. It's 45' long.

Gratefully,

Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

MMC

Sounds like Sophia, does the same thing and the active ingredient is
phosphoric acid. Good stuff.
"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
[...]

how2 contact ALDURA sailboat trailer co. ? Courtney Thomas Cruising 1 October 13th 05 03:18 AM
Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
HOWTO load/unload 24K# steel schooner using no hydraulics trailer........... Courtney Thomas Boat Building 7 January 22nd 04 10:56 PM
Correct Trailer set up for towing my speedboat. Chester General 3 July 28th 03 12:55 PM