Ilv2sl

Default Which epoxy primer for under Awlgrip??

I am planning on painting the decks, cockpit, and cabin top on my fiberglass
sailboat with Awlgrip LP, and am looking for primer recomendations. 8 years
ago or so I was told by a pro boat painter, who sprayed Awlgrip, that he used
another brand of primer, under the Awlgrip. Of course I can't remember the
brand!
Yes I know, you are supposed to use the Mfg's products, aka "system"
Anyone have experience with other primers, for Awlgrip?
Any info appreciated. And, yes, I am trying to save a buck, in order to spend
them on other parts for the boat. This boats not a Gold Plater!
Thanks to all.
mike worrall

I used Epifanes Epoxy Primer under Awlgrip (roll & tip over). My
original intent was to use Epifanes P.U. (two part) topside paint. In
fact I did apply one coat, but was unhappy with the remaining brush
marks. I sanded off the Epifanes, re-applied the primer, then applied
the Awlgrip over this.

Came out swell!

I imaginne you could also use Interlux 404/414, i.e. any two component
epoxy primer.

Note than none of these are inexpensive though - you'll pay about
$80/gal for Epifanes, $60/gallon for Interlux, around $100/gallon for
Awlgrip 545 (plus required thinners/reducers).

Don't know what size craft you're painting, but it may be wise to do
an all Awlgrip job. Be SURE to download their manual, and follow
instructions to the letter.

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles
Tom Dacon

You know, you're going to be spending a fortune on the Awlgrip LP, both on
the materials and even more on the labor you're investing in the prep. The
primer's a small part of the equation. Why risk the quality of the final
product by not going with the manufacturer's recommendations? These days,
they aren't paints any more - they're 'finishing systems', and the various
preps and so forth are highly engineered. I'd go with the manufacturer's
program on this kind of thing. If your pro boat painter is going to be doing
the job, and will stand behind the result without question, then let him do
his thing, I guess. But if you're doing it, what recourse will you have if
you go off on your own and you don't like the way it comes out?

And maybe your boat's not a gold plater, in your view, but when you get that
LP finish on the thing, you're going to be changing your mind. If you do the
kind of prep that an LP finish deserves, it's going to knock people's socks
off!

Tom Dacon, who has an Awlgrip finish on the hull of his 47-year-old wooden
sailboat that people refuse to believe isn't fiberglass (go figure!)

"Ilv2sl" wrote in message
I am planning on painting the decks, cockpit, and cabin top on my
fiberglass
sailboat with Awlgrip LP, and am looking for primer recomendations. 8
years
ago or so I was told by a pro boat painter, who sprayed Awlgrip, that he
used
another brand of primer, under the Awlgrip. Of course I can't remember the
brand!
Yes I know, you are supposed to use the Mfg's products, aka "system"
Anyone have experience with other primers, for Awlgrip?
Any info appreciated. And, yes, I am trying to save a buck, in order to
spend
them on other parts for the boat. This boats not a Gold Plater!
Thanks to all.

Paul Oman

An epoxy primer is generally an epoxy with solvent added.
urethanes generally go over an epoxy as epoxies bond really well and urethanes
don't.

Don't see how there would be any difference with whatever kind of epoxy you have
under the urethane, just watch out for amine blush which would ruin the bond.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers
www.epoxyproducts.com

Confusion: Epoxy or polyester? Bonasa Boat Building 9 September 14th 04 10:46 PM
Epoxy under Varnish on deck? Ervin Charles Boat Building 5 March 7th 04 04:04 AM
WHERE TO FIND EPOXY DREAMINOFWATER Boat Building 29 February 23rd 04 01:16 AM
Epoxy v. Poly rude Boat Building 5 February 12th 04 02:05 PM
How thick to make the fairing? & vaccum bagging a hull Pete Boat Building 12 January 19th 04 10:12 PM