rhys

Default Cleaning up 4200

Wow, finally a legimate "boat building" post, instead of a smart-ass
remark...G

I just drilled, filled, caulked and bolted a pair of mid-ship cleats
using what I think is the best method

From the top:

Cleat

Heavily Cetol'd teak 1 1/4 " block, about 4" by 6", bevelled to shed
water and angled back slightly. It elevates the cleat to just clear
the toerail to reduce chafe.

Epoxied bolt holes, oversized to 3/8" from above and set with 1:1
epoxy with about 15% microballoons as fill.

Deck with 1/2" balsa core. Core was reamed out beyond the FG "skins".

Aluminum 1/4 backing plate with 3/8" holes.

Four 3" SS 1/4" bolts and nuts dogged down to about 40 lb/sq.in
(torque wrench). Bolts had 4200 swirled around the heads about 1" down
the shaft.

I used 3M 4200 and as many know, it's a bit messy.

OK, a lot messy.

I should have worn gloves, but I didn't, and now the grey residue is
on my fingers. Is there a reasonable way short of time and scrubbing
to get this off skin?

Also, like many, I used about 10 percent of a tube yesterday to do the
job, leaving 90% still in the gun and ticking away until it's useless
in another 30 hours or so. Can 4200 beads be used to caulk exterior
aluminum? The porch caulk is looking tired and I could easily make
time to run a fresh bead over a cleaned surface if 4200 is
appropriate--if expensive--as a typical exterior caulk.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Acetone didn't help much and it's toxic
stuff.

R.

Rusty O

Almost any type of Mineral Spirits (Paint Thinner) will work wonders to
clean up un-cured 4200. That includes skin if you don't take a bath in it,
just wash after with soap and water. I've had pretty good luck squeezing a
small amount out of the tube, but still attached to the tip, and allowing it
to cure. Come back a week later, pull off the cured tip, and continue to use
the contents. On occasions it cures a little ways up the tip, but I've never
lost a tube this way.

Rusty O

Stephen Baker

Jonathan says:

In working on Ocean Planet last week I found lacquer thinner worked
pretty well on 4200.

Dang! I knew there was something going on last week. Sorry I missed it. Did
it go off OK?

Steve
rhys

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:44:03 GMT, "Rusty O" wrote:

Almost any type of Mineral Spirits (Paint Thinner) will work wonders to
clean up un-cured 4200. That includes skin if you don't take a bath in it,
just wash after with soap and water. I've had pretty good luck squeezing a
small amount out of the tube, but still attached to the tip, and allowing it
to cure. Come back a week later, pull off the cured tip, and continue to use
the contents. On occasions it cures a little ways up the tip, but I've never
lost a tube this way.

That's handy...I've got some mineral spirits aboard, and I'll "pull
the tip" if you pardon the expression before I go racing tomorrow
evening.

Might give fair winds, at that...

R.

Jonathan

Default Cleaning up 4200/Ocean Planet

Ocean Planet was launched without a hitch. (except for being slightly
aground when the weight came off the slings)

The governor of Maine was present as was Dodge Morgan, the first
American non stop circumnavigator at, what, 150 days? An assortment of
local luminaries were present as well, all paying homage to Bruce's
adoption of Portland, ME as new home port.

The last week was nuts, and we were there until midnight trying to get
supplier sponsor logo's on at least the port side of the boat for the
launching.

See:
http://www.bruceschwab.com/news_hldr...ews_071604.cfm
or

http://sports.mainetoday.com/local/s...anplanet.shtml

Jonathan

Stephen Baker wrote:
Jonathan says:

In working on Ocean Planet last week I found lacquer thinner worked
pretty well on 4200.

Dang! I knew there was something going on last week. Sorry I missed it. Did
it go off OK?

Steve

Stephen Baker

Jonathan says:

Ocean Planet was launched without a hitch. (except for being slightly
aground when the weight came off the slings)

Good job. Check the tide table next time... ;-)

Steve
Jonathan

They did. The Governor was late. The yard boss had just told Bruce
"you've got about 30 more minutes before it's too late" when the Gov showed.

She was lifted while the pols were still speechifying
The difference of one boat length from the inner end of the dock, vs 2
boat lengths.

Then there was a mad scramble to hoist a big American flag, but no
halyard had been specified earlier, and they were tied off from the
stepping. I undid the main halyard, then the one guy who knew the mast
showed up and specified the spin halyard. In making off the multi part
main, I goofed and watched it slowly ease it's way up the mast.

Talk about feeling like one of the Three Stooges Fortunately a young
ape shinnied up, it was only about 10 feet up, but there was no boat
hook on board yet

Jonathan (with the fumbly fingers)

Stephen Baker wrote:
Jonathan says:

Ocean Planet was launched without a hitch. (except for being slightly
aground when the weight came off the slings)

Good job. Check the tide table next time... ;-)

Steve

Stephen Baker

Jonathan says:

In making off the multi part
main, I goofed and watched it slowly ease it's way up the mast.

Heehee... You're not alone (details deleted to protect the unfortunate)

Steve
rhys

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:03:44 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:17:23 -0400, rhys wrote:

I used 3M 4200 and as many know, it's a bit messy.

OK, a lot messy.

Next time.....

El-cheapo rubbing alcohol from the drugstore is excellent for
silicone, 4200, 5200, etc. It is inexpensive, quick drying and not
harsh.

Thanks, I discovered that when I spilled my rum G, which wasn't
cheap, but live and learn.

R.