Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob La Londe[_6_] View Post
I have a copy of Pollards aluminum boat building book, and I have read it.
It looks like he mostly plans on boats to be all cut pieces and welded.
That's great for big boats or even for some small boats, but braking seems
like it would make more sense if you have access to a brake big enough.
Some of the small boat designs (think shallow draft skinny water boats)
would really benefit from a mostly bent hull. Aluminum sheet can be had in
pieces large enough to make most of a hull out of one sheet. Some cutting
and welding is still needed obviously, but if you could brake the keel,
chines, and bottom of the transom only welding the front and the sides in
the back you would have an inherently stronger and more rigid boat for rough
service.

The problem of course is how do you brake a piece of metal that big?

Yeah I know a giant hydraulic brake would be a good answer for the
commercial boat builder once they have the capital for it, but how does the
backyard boat builder do it? Are they stuck with all cut and welded pieces,
or hauling their sheet to somebody with a giant brake to do it for them (if
there even is somebody with a brake big enough in the area that hires out)?
I used to work as a brake operator. The biggest brake I worked on was a 600ton Cincinnatti, which could brake a 20 ft length.
You would be better off having a shop with such a brake do the work for you. Do as much cutting and layout of your own as possible, make well numbered templates , and make your directions as clear as possible,to minimize the time you get billed for.
Yes braking parts can save a huge amount of time, with far better results than welding corners together

Aluminum [email protected] Boat Building 0 March 6th 08 01:04 PM
Riveting Aluminum Bob La Londe Boat Building 0 December 17th 07 03:03 AM
Trailer Braking Problem Bryan General 8 July 3rd 07 05:51 AM
WTB: Aluminum Boats by Kaiser Aluminum Brian D Boat Building 5 March 27th 06 01:53 AM
Aluminum and...what? engsol Cruising 5 June 30th 05 08:13 PM