posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default Getting water out of gas tank?

On 10/24/2011 3:18 PM, --@++.-- wrote:
Recently my boat got pounded pretty good from behind by a bunch of wind produced
waves. After that it didn't want to run because water got in the breather for
the gas tank. I ran a line from a can of good gas and ran the engine and it
cleared up and began running normally again. I got an electric fuel pump and
attached it to the tank's fuel line and pumped out into portable cans. To me, at
first it appeared to pump clean water, then it looked milky for a while, then it
looked like clean gas. I pumped about 2 more gallons out of the 14+/- gallon
tank after it began looking like good gas, and it still looked good so I stopped
pumping. Is it safe to think the remaining gas is okay?

It's safe to think anything you want. Just be careful what you say.

Put a water separating filter in your fuel line.

On 10/24/11 3:18 PM, --@++.-- wrote:
Recently my boat got pounded pretty good from behind by a bunch of wind produced
waves. After that it didn't want to run because water got in the breather for
the gas tank. I ran a line from a can of good gas and ran the engine and it
cleared up and began running normally again. I got an electric fuel pump and
attached it to the tank's fuel line and pumped out into portable cans. To me, at
first it appeared to pump clean water, then it looked milky for a while, then it
looked like clean gas. I pumped about 2 more gallons out of the 14+/- gallon
tank after it began looking like good gas, and it still looked good so I stopped
pumping. Is it safe to think the remaining gas is okay?

If I were you, and I could, I'd pump the remaining gas out of the boat's
tank and use the fuel in something else where getting stuck in the
middle of a large body of water isn't a possibility.

You could also install a water separating fuel filter between your
boat's fuel tank and the engine. You should have one of those anyway.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 24, 2:18*pm, -...@++.-- wrote:
Recently my boat got pounded pretty good from behind by a bunch of wind produced
waves. After that it didn't want to run because water got in the breather for
the gas tank. I ran a line from a can of good gas and ran the engine and it
cleared up and began running normally again. I got an electric fuel pump and
attached it to the tank's fuel line and pumped out into portable cans. To me, at
first it appeared to pump clean water, then it looked milky for a while, then it
looked like clean gas. I pumped about 2 more gallons out of the 14+/- gallon
tank after it began looking like good gas, and it still looked good so I stopped
pumping. Is it safe to think the remaining gas is okay?

I wouldn't assume much of anything positive concerning tainted fuel.
It would be best to do as others have said and install a water trap
filter, AND get as much fuel out as you can. Then refil with fresh
stuff. You might want to add a bottle of HEET or some other quality
water dispensation treatment. It will help to evaporate what is left
in the tank.
posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:58:03 -0400, WaIIy wrote:

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:18:31 -0700, --@++.-- wrote:

Recently my boat got pounded pretty good from behind by a bunch of wind produced
waves. After that it didn't want to run because water got in the breather for
the gas tank. I ran a line from a can of good gas and ran the engine and it
cleared up and began running normally again. I got an electric fuel pump and
attached it to the tank's fuel line and pumped out into portable cans. To me, at
first it appeared to pump clean water, then it looked milky for a while, then it
looked like clean gas. I pumped about 2 more gallons out of the 14+/- gallon
tank after it began looking like good gas, and it still looked good so I stopped
pumping. Is it safe to think the remaining gas is okay?

Since the gas is on top of the water, you might want to drain the tank
all ther way.

As Wally said you may want to drain, or suction out, whatever is in
the bottom of the engine but adding alcohol to the gasoline you will
create a mix that the engine will burn.

Back in the day, this was a standard practice in the fall or early
winter in many northern states. I can remember small bottles of
alcohol labeled "Dry Gas" being marketed in nearly every gas station
during the fall and winter in New Hampshire.

--

Cheers,

Bruce

On 10/24/2011 3:18 PM, --@++.-- wrote:
Recently my boat got pounded pretty good from behind by a bunch of wind produced
waves. After that it didn't want to run because water got in the breather for
the gas tank. I ran a line from a can of good gas and ran the engine and it
cleared up and began running normally again. I got an electric fuel pump and
attached it to the tank's fuel line and pumped out into portable cans. To me, at
first it appeared to pump clean water, then it looked milky for a while, then it
looked like clean gas. I pumped about 2 more gallons out of the 14+/- gallon
tank after it began looking like good gas, and it still looked good so I stopped
pumping. Is it safe to think the remaining gas is okay?

The water will be on the bottom of the tank...
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:18:31 -0700, --@++.-- wrote:

Recently my boat got pounded pretty good from behind by a bunch of wind produced
waves. After that it didn't want to run because water got in the breather for
the gas tank. I ran a line from a can of good gas and ran the engine and it
cleared up and began running normally again. I got an electric fuel pump and
attached it to the tank's fuel line and pumped out into portable cans. To me, at
first it appeared to pump clean water, then it looked milky for a while, then it
looked like clean gas. I pumped about 2 more gallons out of the 14+/- gallon
tank after it began looking like good gas, and it still looked good so I stopped
pumping. Is it safe to think the remaining gas is okay?

Others here have given you good advice:

1. Best to empty and discard as much of the tank as possible (most of
the water will be on the bottom and will slosh around when under way
and get remixed with fuel).

2. Racor makes a really excellent bulkhead mounted fuel filter. It
is more expensive than the Sierra but worth it in my opinion. The
Racor has a drain tap on the bottom so you can see if water is
accumulating in the filter bowl and get rid rid of it.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:29:26 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

[...]

The diesel engine pickups here all have a water catcher installed.
They consist of a clear plastic cylinder body about the size of an oil
filter. There is a float inside that will float in water but not
diesel and a magnetic switch that is triggered by the float to actuate
a warning alarm - buzzer, siren, etc. Piped into the diesel system
before the first filter it catches any water and shouts a warning.

After polluting the entire fuel system with water when refueling in
Malaysia some years ago I installed one in the sail boat. It would
catch about a quarter of a cup of water( probably 1/8th of the filter
capacity) before tripping the alarm. when the alarm fired it was only
a matter of shutting down the engine and opening the drain valve on
the bottom of the water catcher, pump a stroke or two on the built in
pump to flush the water out and close the valve. Re-Start the engine
and Bob 's your uncle..

The old fashioned Racor 500's will do the same thing and I believe
that there is a sensor that can be fitted to trigger a warning device
when the bowl gets water in it.

--

Cheers,

Bruce

On 10/24/2011 11:29 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Do they make glass bowl filters for inboard gas engines?

On Oct 25, 6:39*am, Drifter wrote:
[...]

Sure! most of the older farm tractors had them, but they screwed into
the base of the tank. I have seen some mountable in-line glass bowl
units, though

Getting water out of gas tank? --@++.-- General 13 October 26th 11 01:28 AM
aux gas tank (use an outboard tank for an I/O) Josh Assing General 1 September 21st 08 01:05 AM
WATER IN THE GAS TANK sonofadocker General 6 November 28th 06 12:52 PM
gas tank supra General 9 October 28th 06 03:44 PM
Water tank Accident. Was: water tank leak yert33 Cruising 0 January 11th 05 12:42 AM