posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Tim Tim is offline

Default Getting water out of gas tank?

On Oct 24, 2:18*pm, -...@++.-- wrote:
Recently my boat got pounded pretty good from behind by a bunch of wind produced
waves. After that it didn't want to run because water got in the breather for
the gas tank. I ran a line from a can of good gas and ran the engine and it
cleared up and began running normally again. I got an electric fuel pump and
attached it to the tank's fuel line and pumped out into portable cans. To me, at
first it appeared to pump clean water, then it looked milky for a while, then it
looked like clean gas. I pumped about 2 more gallons out of the 14+/- gallon
tank after it began looking like good gas, and it still looked good so I stopped
pumping. Is it safe to think the remaining gas is okay?

I wouldn't assume much of anything positive concerning tainted fuel.
It would be best to do as others have said and install a water trap
filter, AND get as much fuel out as you can. Then refil with fresh
stuff. You might want to add a bottle of HEET or some other quality
water dispensation treatment. It will help to evaporate what is left
in the tank.