posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce[_3_] Bruce[_3_] is offline

Default Getting water out of gas tank?

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:58:03 -0400, WaIIy wrote:

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:18:31 -0700, --@++.-- wrote:

Recently my boat got pounded pretty good from behind by a bunch of wind produced
waves. After that it didn't want to run because water got in the breather for
the gas tank. I ran a line from a can of good gas and ran the engine and it
cleared up and began running normally again. I got an electric fuel pump and
attached it to the tank's fuel line and pumped out into portable cans. To me, at
first it appeared to pump clean water, then it looked milky for a while, then it
looked like clean gas. I pumped about 2 more gallons out of the 14+/- gallon
tank after it began looking like good gas, and it still looked good so I stopped
pumping. Is it safe to think the remaining gas is okay?

Since the gas is on top of the water, you might want to drain the tank
all ther way.

As Wally said you may want to drain, or suction out, whatever is in
the bottom of the engine but adding alcohol to the gasoline you will
create a mix that the engine will burn.

Back in the day, this was a standard practice in the fall or early
winter in many northern states. I can remember small bottles of
alcohol labeled "Dry Gas" being marketed in nearly every gas station
during the fall and winter in New Hampshire.

--

Cheers,

Bruce