posted to free.uk.diy.home,rec.boats.racing,rec.boats.building

Default Floor varnish

On 02/01/2011 15:43, Farmer Giles wrote:
Three or four years back I put down a solid oak floor in our lounge, after
sanding it down I finished it with water-based polyurethane floor varnish
from either Screwfix or Toolstation. This was fine until about a year ago
when the surface became badly worn in places. It's a bit of a mess now, and
I'm going to have to sand it down again and re-varnish. Anyone got any
recommendations on the best varnish to use - or any tips on applying it?

The _best_ varnish is going to be a two-pot yacht varnish. The real
stuff, not the kind you buy from a DIY shed. However you may not like
the price.

Ideally you sand to bare wood, then apply West Systems Epoxy or similar
as an undercoat, then a couple of coats of two-pot varnish on top.

x-posted...

Andy

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
On 02/01/2011 15:43, Farmer Giles wrote:
Three or four years back I put down a solid oak floor in our lounge,
after
sanding it down I finished it with water-based polyurethane floor varnish
from either Screwfix or Toolstation. This was fine until about a year ago
when the surface became badly worn in places. It's a bit of a mess now,
and
I'm going to have to sand it down again and re-varnish. Anyone got any
recommendations on the best varnish to use - or any tips on applying it?

The _best_ varnish is going to be a two-pot yacht varnish. The real
stuff, not the kind you buy from a DIY shed. However you may not like the
price.

Ideally you sand to bare wood, then apply West Systems Epoxy or similar as
an undercoat, then a couple of coats of two-pot varnish on top.

As a one-off job which I want to to properly the price isn't that critical -
although all this stuff seems fairly expensive, the Rustins stuff is over
£60 per tin.

Where is the best place to get this two-pot varnish?

On 03/01/2011 21:38, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Andy,
Yacht varnish is too soft for a floor. It is hard to beat the 2 part
water based poly he already used. It is much harder.
Steve

Fascinating. Seems hard as anything on my boat.... but that's why I
x-posted!

Andy

floor finish for wood floor in sailboat . .. Benning Wentworth Cruising 1 October 10th 06 05:08 AM
help! my varnish has pimples,.. Don White Cruising 17 January 31st 05 05:30 PM
varnish Rich Hampel Cruising 1 January 8th 05 05:14 AM
Two coats of varnish. . . Jim General 10 December 28th 04 06:54 AM
Please help: What kind of varnish do I have? Mike Cruising 4 October 28th 04 02:26 AM