posted to free.uk.diy.home,rec.boats.racing,rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Floor varnish

Andy,
Yacht varnish is too soft for a floor. It is hard to beat the 2 part water based poly he already used. It is much harder.
Steve

"Andy Champ" wrote in message ...
On 02/01/2011 15:43, Farmer Giles wrote:
Three or four years back I put down a solid oak floor in our lounge, after
sanding it down I finished it with water-based polyurethane floor varnish
from either Screwfix or Toolstation. This was fine until about a year ago
when the surface became badly worn in places. It's a bit of a mess now, and
I'm going to have to sand it down again and re-varnish. Anyone got any
recommendations on the best varnish to use - or any tips on applying it?

The _best_ varnish is going to be a two-pot yacht varnish. The real
stuff, not the kind you buy from a DIY shed. However you may not like
the price.

Ideally you sand to bare wood, then apply West Systems Epoxy or similar
as an undercoat, then a couple of coats of two-pot varnish on top.

x-posted...

Andy