Jim

Default Two coats of varnish. . .

Friday morning, I did some sanding (240) and applied a coat of Epithanes
"Wood Finish".

Today I did the second coat (the stuff does not need to be sanded
between coats if applied within 72 hours.) I only did the parts that
get direct sun, I didn't want to risk doing the stuff that was in the
shade all day. It is December and Epithanes dries very slowly.

Finished around 10, and it's just about dry at sunset.

Temperatures in the 70's, all three days just beautiful, not a cloud,
very little humidity.

Puts the Cetol neighbors to shame. Think I'll go put some miles on my bike.

This is for all those who are looking for an on topic post and are
sitting in the snow.

LaBomba182

Subject: Two coats of varnish. . .
From: Jim

Today I did the second coat

Only ten more to go.

Capt. Bill
DSK

Jim wrote:
This is part of the yearly recoat.

Once a year, a little 240 and two new coats.

C'mon, you use 240 grit for final sanding??

If you want to get even a slight nod of approval from the Zen Varnish
Masters, you have to get up to 600 grit wet-sanding.

Fair Skies... and Clean Brushes- Doug King

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:16:50 -0500, DSK wrote:

Jim wrote:
This is part of the yearly recoat.

Once a year, a little 240 and two new coats.

C'mon, you use 240 grit for final sanding??

If you want to get even a slight nod of approval from the Zen Varnish
Masters, you have to get up to 600 grit wet-sanding.

"Snatch the sandpaper from my hand Grasshopper"... :)

A true Master of Sen Vanishing would use 800 grit which lasts about
one stroke. :)

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.........

Later,

Tom
DSK

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Snatch the sandpaper from my hand Grasshopper"... :)

A true Master of Sen Vanishing would use 800 grit which lasts about
one stroke. :)

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.........

Oh, sure, raise the ante. But I said "to get a nod from the Zen
Masters," not to become one.

I've used 1200 grit wet, and if you use a drop of dishwashing soap in
the sanding water bucket, it doesn't clog. Produces a finish about as
smooth as polished marble.

I've known people that used a non-wax rubbing compound (2000 grit?
2400?) prior to final coat(s) but that seems a bit over the top to me.
But then I'm not claiming to be a Zen Master myself. For one thing, I
can't meditate over my brushes....

DSK

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:18:55 -0500, DSK wrote:

If you want to get even a slight nod of approval from the Zen Varnish
Masters, you have to get up to 600 grit wet-sanding.

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Snatch the sandpaper from my hand Grasshopper"... :)

A true Master of Sen Vanishing would use 800 grit which lasts about
one stroke. :)

OOMMMMMMMMMMMMM.........OOOOMM

Oh, sure, raise the ante. But I said "to get a nod from the Zen
Masters," not to become one.

I've used 1200 grit wet, and if you use a drop of dishwashing soap in
the sanding water bucket, it doesn't clog. Produces a finish about as
smooth as polished marble.

Wow - you are a true Master!!! I didn't know that.

I've known people that used a non-wax rubbing compound (2000 grit?
2400?) prior to final coat(s) but that seems a bit over the top to me.

It's 2000 I think. 3M makes one for fiberglass repair - amazing
stuff.

But then I'm not claiming to be a Zen Master myself. For one thing, I
can't meditate over my brushes...

A true Master of Zen Varnish knows his limitations.

OOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM.........

Later,

Tom

Teak - Varnish, Oil, Or leave it go blond? Norm Cruising 29 November 12th 04 04:17 AM
Teak Finish Frank Gerry Boat Building 1 February 5th 04 03:23 AM
Hippo Oil varnish fc Boat Building 0 September 13th 03 07:13 AM
user of varnish remover on teak Dave Cruising 4 July 28th 03 01:49 PM
The mythology of varnish Don White General 0 July 21st 03 03:37 PM