posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

Default Swim Platform Project

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

One of the joys of owning a boat with a lot of exterior wood trim is
the maintenance work. With 29 years in the sun and salt air, the
teak in our swim platorm was getting thin, brittle and badly worn.
After several years of patchwork repairs it finally seemed time to do
the job right and rebuild the entire thing. No problem. In
exchange of about a boat buck for freshly milled teak strips and a few
new tools, the job is well underway.

Here's a picture of a new strip being sprung into place with clamps
and spacers:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/921/swimplatformconstructio.jpg

Notice the reflections in that fine looking transom. :-)

The strips are 15 feet long, 1 1/2 iches wide and about 7/8ths thick,
approximately 25 board feet before milling.

Any suggestions for how to finish the teak when it is finished?

---------

Looks great Wayne!
Lot's of knowledgeable guys on another group report success with sealing
exterior teak with West epoxy and varnishing or painting over that. Haven't
tried it myself but it sounds good.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:07:04 -0500, I am Tosk
wrote:

Looks great Wayne!
Lot's of knowledgeable guys on another group report success with sealing
exterior teak with West epoxy and varnishing or painting over that. Haven't
tried it myself but it sounds good.

What I have done with great success it use a warm thin coat of epoxy as
a sanding sealer (not really cost effective unless you are buying your
epoxy in bulk as I was) and then using a good UV protective Spar Varnish
over it..

Yes, I've heard of that. In fact there is a special epoxy made just
for that purpose called CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer). I
might give it a try.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1269&familyName=Smiths+Cold+CP ES+Epoxy

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"I am Tosk" wrote in message

In article m,
says...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - Pain is temporary, Glory is forever!

===============
I'll try that next time. Last time I used Minwax spar urethane and after
scraping/sanding off the old beat up Cetol, I was ****ed to see the urethane
lifting off the wood after a few months.
I've had good luck with the Minwax on interior trim but took it too
far......

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building

In article ,
says...
In article m,
says...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

[...]

For a swim platform that will actually be used, will you need non-skid
on top of a smooth finish? IIRC, unfinished teak isn't too slippery,
even when wet.

Mark Borgerson

Swim Platform Project Wayne.B General 58 November 23rd 10 08:09 PM
Swim Platform Project The No Spoof Zone Boat Building 6 November 22nd 10 04:34 PM
Swim Platform Project Crotchedy Harry Boat Building 0 November 22nd 10 02:51 PM
Swim Platform Project Crotchedy Harry Boat Building 0 November 22nd 10 02:50 PM
How Useful is a Swim Platform Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 1st 07 12:48 PM