posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building

Default Swim Platform Project

One of the joys of owning a boat with a lot of exterior wood trim is
the maintenance work. With 29 years in the sun and salt air, the
teak in our swim platorm was getting thin, brittle and badly worn.
After several years of patchwork repairs it finally seemed time to do
the job right and rebuild the entire thing. No problem. In
exchange of about a boat buck for freshly milled teak strips and a few
new tools, the job is well underway.

Here's a picture of a new strip being sprung into place with clamps
and spacers:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/921/swimplatformconstructio.jpg

Notice the reflections in that fine looking transom. :-)

The strips are 15 feet long, 1 1/2 iches wide and about 7/8ths thick,
approximately 25 board feet before milling.

Any suggestions for how to finish the teak when it is finished?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
One of the joys of owning a boat with a lot of exterior wood trim is
the maintenance work. With 29 years in the sun and salt air, the
teak in our swim platorm was getting thin, brittle and badly worn.
After several years of patchwork repairs it finally seemed time to do
the job right and rebuild the entire thing. No problem. In
exchange of about a boat buck for freshly milled teak strips and a few
new tools, the job is well underway.

Here's a picture of a new strip being sprung into place with clamps
and spacers:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/921/swimplatformconstructio.jpg

Notice the reflections in that fine looking transom. :-)

The strips are 15 feet long, 1 1/2 iches wide and about 7/8ths thick,
approximately 25 board feet before milling.

Any suggestions for how to finish the teak when it is finished?

I just used teak oil on the thwart of my daysailer.

"YukonBound" wrote in message ...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Thwart? Do you mean seat? Did the oil stain your shorts?

--
Ziggy®
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building

On 11/21/10 3:13 PM, YukonBound wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

You shouldn't use esoteric boating words (thwart) in this newsgroup;
some of the spoofers won't get it.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building

m...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

~~ Snerk ~~ I see what you mean!

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
One of the joys of owning a boat with a lot of exterior wood trim is
the maintenance work. With 29 years in the sun and salt air, the
teak in our swim platorm was getting thin, brittle and badly worn.
After several years of patchwork repairs it finally seemed time to do
the job right and rebuild the entire thing. No problem. In
exchange of about a boat buck for freshly milled teak strips and a few
new tools, the job is well underway.

Here's a picture of a new strip being sprung into place with clamps
and spacers:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/921/swimplatformconstructio.jpg

Notice the reflections in that fine looking transom. :-)

The strips are 15 feet long, 1 1/2 iches wide and about 7/8ths thick,
approximately 25 board feet before milling.

Any suggestions for how to finish the teak when it is finished?

My suggestion is not to apply any coating leave the teak au Natural.

As you know the best way to finished a teak swimming Platform is

not to put anything on it. Wash and scrub with a soft brush the platform
when needed.

If you do not mind a slippery platform when wet Cetol light finish looks
nice.

It has to be redone every second year or so?

The oil contained in the teak wood does not facilitate the adherence
(sticking) of almost any surface coating for a long period of time.

The other coating that I used is a Tung oil finish BERH No 600.

Its formulated with Linseed oil, Tung oil, Wax and fortified with a

UV inhibitor. It looks very nice but will not last a season, re-coating is
needed every month? It's easier then removing a Cetol or varnish finishes
with a scrapper.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:04:08 -0500, W1TEF
wrote:

I assume you are working in the water?

Yes, it is good news and bad news.

The good news is that if you slip and fall off, the water is only
inches away and is soft. In a boatyard on the hard the swim platform
is 7 feet off the concrete. The bad news is that Davy Jones is not
very good about returning dropped tools and other items. :-)

wrote:

I assume you are working in the water?

Yes, it is good news and bad news.

The good news is that if you slip and fall off, the water is only
inches away and is soft. In a boatyard on the hard the swim platform
is 7 feet off the concrete. The bad news is that Davy Jones is not
very good about returning dropped tools and other items. :-)

If on the hard, I'd just rent one 10' section of staging with a platform or
two.
That way you have a nice stable solid surface to stand on at a convenient
height.
I just returned two sections a week ago after some work around the house.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:23:01 -0500, wrote:

Where are you getting your teak?
Do you know about Alva Hardwoods? (out past Lehigh on death road 80)

I have heard of Alva Hardwoods but have not been out there yet. I
got it from this place:

http://www.theshipwrightshop.com/

He buys his teak directly from the importers.

It was recommended to me by the guys at the Woodcraft store in Ft
Myers on Cleveland Ave:

http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=578

I was happy with the price and quality at The Shipwright Shop and I
got a lot of custom millwork for next to nothing. He's definitely a
good guy to know if you are doing boat projects.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

One of the joys of owning a boat with a lot of exterior wood trim is
the maintenance work. With 29 years in the sun and salt air, the
teak in our swim platorm was getting thin, brittle and badly worn.
After several years of patchwork repairs it finally seemed time to do
the job right and rebuild the entire thing. No problem. In
exchange of about a boat buck for freshly milled teak strips and a few
new tools, the job is well underway.

Here's a picture of a new strip being sprung into place with clamps
and spacers:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/921/swimplatformconstructio.jpg

Notice the reflections in that fine looking transom. :-)

The strips are 15 feet long, 1 1/2 iches wide and about 7/8ths thick,
approximately 25 board feet before milling.

Any suggestions for how to finish the teak when it is finished?

Reply: Zolatone? With Clearcoat? :)

How Useful is a Swim Platform Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 1st 07 12:48 PM
swim platform [email protected] Cruising 4 November 16th 06 04:34 PM
Swim Platform!! Bob Crantz ASA 0 November 1st 05 02:28 PM
Swim Platform Bill Custom Boat Building 1 May 19th 05 01:02 PM
Swim platform extensions jchaplain Cruising 3 May 5th 04 01:04 AM