posted to rec.boats.building

Default Underpowered Johnson 50

Went up to a friends place to help him with the boat and the engine is
running way underpowered from where it normally is. When we are going
full throttle it is only acting like a 20hp. I checked the plugs,
neither look corroded, just looks like they have some oil on them.
Checked what I assumed was the throttle just making sure the levers
and stuff were moving their full range. The engine doesn't sound like
it is struggling, and it's not getting as loud as it should when we
open it up, it just basically acting like a 20.\
Thanks in advance!
posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"Michael D" wrote in message
Went up to a friends place to help him with the boat and the engine is
running way underpowered from where it normally is. When we are going
full throttle it is only acting like a 20hp. I checked the plugs,
neither look corroded, just looks like they have some oil on them.
Checked what I assumed was the throttle just making sure the levers
and stuff were moving their full range. The engine doesn't sound like
it is struggling, and it's not getting as loud as it should when we
open it up, it just basically acting like a 20.\
Thanks in advance!

A funny thing with a lot of the older 2 cycle motors is that they can run on
1 cylinder.
I'd suggest one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4424 to see
if there is spark to each cylinder They are easier to see out of direct
sunlight.
If there is spark then it's a fuel problem. Was the boating sitting for an
extended period without draining the fuel?

I'd suggest one of these:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...mnumber=4424to see
if there is spark to each cylinder *They are easier to see out of direct
sunlight.
If there is spark then it's a fuel problem. Was the boating sitting for an
extended period without draining the fuel?

Thanks! I've been told that it was ran dry this fall, but it didn't
really look like it when I went up there. It's not my engine so I'm
not sure. A friend recommended that I check the fuel filter and carbs
as well....

"Michael D" wrote in message
On Apr 16, 2:17 pm, "mmc" wrote:
"Michael D" wrote in message

[...]

-------
Good plan. If fuel oil mix sets long enough it turns into a varnish kinda
crap and gums up the works.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 06:38:08 -0700 (PDT), Michael D
wrote:

Went up to a friends place to help him with the boat and the engine is
running way underpowered from where it normally is. When we are going
full throttle it is only acting like a 20hp. I checked the plugs,
neither look corroded, just looks like they have some oil on them.
Checked what I assumed was the throttle just making sure the levers
and stuff were moving their full range. The engine doesn't sound like
it is struggling, and it's not getting as loud as it should when we
open it up, it just basically acting like a 20.\
Thanks in advance!

When having engine trouble I always go down to the station and get
some "fresh" gasoline. surprisingly that often fixes the problem.

Apparently the modern gasoline is not quite as good as the gas we used
to get :-)
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.building

For $20, this guy will give you a list of things to check,and he will keep
at it until the problem is solved.
It worked for me. I got to the end of his initial list and fixed a poor
running motor by cleaning out a carb jet with a little piece of wire.
http://www.maxrules.com/fixelink.html

"Michael D" wrote in message
Went up to a friends place to help him with the boat and the engine is
running way underpowered from where it normally is. When we are going
full throttle it is only acting like a 20hp. I checked the plugs,
neither look corroded, just looks like they have some oil on them.
Checked what I assumed was the throttle just making sure the levers
and stuff were moving their full range. The engine doesn't sound like
it is struggling, and it's not getting as loud as it should when we
open it up, it just basically acting like a 20.\
Thanks in advance!

posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

A real honest to god mechanic helping like that? Definitely worth $20.

"Michael D" wrote in message
Went up to a friends place to help him with the boat and the engine is
running way underpowered from where it normally is. When we are going
full throttle it is only acting like a 20hp. I checked the plugs,
neither look corroded, just looks like they have some oil on them.
Checked what I assumed was the throttle just making sure the levers
and stuff were moving their full range. The engine doesn't sound like
it is struggling, and it's not getting as loud as it should when we
open it up, it just basically acting like a 20.\
Thanks in advance!

For all you underpowered outboarders... HK General 0 June 24th 07 07:09 PM
Robert underpowered motor sailor Joe ASA 2 July 4th 06 07:33 PM
Johnson V4 GC General 11 June 22nd 06 05:08 PM
Looking from advice from CS 27 sailors - Are they underpowered? TheKingBee General 1 June 30th 05 01:54 PM
Johnson 4HP Lloyd UK Power Boats 0 September 30th 03 06:41 PM