posted to rec.boats.building

Default Shower discharge thingammebob

I am sussing out how to fit a shower in my Hunter Horizon 26 TK. I have
the system roughed out but am baulking at the waste disposal. The heads
compartment is a moulded part wall and floor section in plastic. I may
have to cut this to fit in a drain bund to the pump suction.

Anyone out there familiar with this sort of scope in this craft or a
similar one and how to resolve this elegantly with a minimum of
disruption to existing moulding?
posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:50:08 +0000, Mas Dubh
wrote:

I am sussing out how to fit a shower in my Hunter Horizon 26 TK. I have
the system roughed out but am baulking at the waste disposal. The heads
compartment is a moulded part wall and floor section in plastic. I may
have to cut this to fit in a drain bund to the pump suction.

Anyone out there familiar with this sort of scope in this craft or a
similar one and how to resolve this elegantly with a minimum of
disruption to existing moulding?

I built a system in a 40 ft. boat (which is undoubtedly different). I
fabricated a fiberglass sump which contained the waste pump and routed
the waste line to the sink drain. To save space in the sump I used an
air pressure bilge pump switch to activate the pump.
Glued the sump to the floor of the Head compartment.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

I am sussing out how to fit a shower in my Hunter Horizon 26 TK. I have
the system roughed out but am baulking at the waste disposal. The heads
compartment is a moulded part wall and floor section in plastic. I may
have to cut this to fit in a drain bund to the pump suction.

Anyone out there familiar with this sort of scope in this craft or a
similar one and how to resolve this elegantly with a minimum of
disruption to existing moulding?

I built a system in a 40 ft. boat (which is undoubtedly different). I
fabricated a fiberglass sump which contained the waste pump and routed
the waste line to the sink drain. To save space in the sump I used an
air pressure bilge pump switch to activate the pump.
Glued the sump to the floor of the Head compartment.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Cheers Bruce
I am not familiar with air pressure switches - I'll check them out. My
problem is the fact of cutting out for a sump may weaken the plastic
moulding and could give rise to future leaks. Offshore on N/Sea oil
platforms it seemed always the case that the deck drains, supported by
drain pipework, ended up higher than the surrounding droopy plate - I'll
need to watch for that too. Ideally there should be no residual pooling.
The disposal route via the sink drain is my favoured option too.

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:

[...]

My experience with the usual float switches for bilge pumps has not
been good - every one I ever installed failed. I came across the air
pressure switches which are a diaphragm operated switch connected by a
hose to a small plastic cup that mounts in the bilge. As water in the
bilge rises so does pressure in the diaphragm operated switch. I've
had these installed for years without failure.

I epoxied the sump into the floor in the Head with a couple of layers
of glass tape to reinforce the joint. No problems with the joint in
something like 6 years and we spend about half our time on the boat.

The sump contains a small Rule pump that connects to a fiberglass tube
epoxied into the sump, which in turn connects to a hose to the sink
drain. The pump wires lead through a hole in the side of the sump and
are sealed with 3M 5200. Never has a leak.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"Mas Dubh" wrote in message
I am sussing out how to fit a shower in my Hunter Horizon 26 TK. I have the
system roughed out but am baulking at the waste disposal. The heads
compartment is a moulded part wall and floor section in plastic. I may have
to cut this to fit in a drain bund to the pump suction.

Anyone out there familiar with this sort of scope in this craft or a
similar one and how to resolve this elegantly with a minimum of disruption
to existing moulding?

This is what I've got in my boat
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|26832|319659&id=680799
There is a flush thru hull in a molded in recess in the head floor and a
hose that leads to the drain fixture under a different section of the deck
which has a hatch board.

mmc wrote:
"Mas wrote in message
I am sussing out how to fit a shower in my Hunter Horizon 26 TK. I have the
system roughed out but am baulking at the waste disposal. The heads
compartment is a moulded part wall and floor section in plastic. I may have
to cut this to fit in a drain bund to the pump suction.

Anyone out there familiar with this sort of scope in this craft or a
similar one and how to resolve this elegantly with a minimum of disruption
to existing moulding?

This is what I've got in my boat
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|26832|319659&id=680799
There is a flush thru hull in a molded in recess in the head floor and a
hose that leads to the drain fixture under a different section of the deck
which has a hatch board.

sorry mmc - that link appears broken
md
posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 13:23:45 +0000, Mas
wrote:

mmc wrote:
"Mas wrote in message
[...]

If this one comes through broken, just copy and paste it into the
address bar of your browser.

That's the sort of thing I was considering however the cut out depth is
too much for my small boat. I am now looking at building a bespoke
"strip" along the companionway threshold lip, with holes drilled low
down to take the water down an incline to the pump suction. I'll sort
the details out when I check the clearances. The pump can be manual as
its capable of run dry operation for small periods (or so it says on the
box).

wrote:

I am sussing out how to fit a shower in my Hunter Horizon 26 TK. I have
the system roughed out but am baulking at the waste disposal. The heads
compartment is a moulded part wall and floor section in plastic. I may
have to cut this to fit in a drain bund to the pump suction.

Anyone out there familiar with this sort of scope in this craft or a
similar one and how to resolve this elegantly with a minimum of
disruption to existing moulding?

Scuttle it for the insurance and buy something with everything you
want already there.I think they can hang you for barretry so don't get
caught.

Casady

wrote:

I am sussing out how to fit a shower in my Hunter Horizon 26 TK. I have
the system roughed out but am baulking at the waste disposal. The heads
compartment is a moulded part wall and floor section in plastic. I may
have to cut this to fit in a drain bund to the pump suction.

Anyone out there familiar with this sort of scope in this craft or a
similar one and how to resolve this elegantly with a minimum of
disruption to existing moulding?

Scuttle it for the insurance and buy something with everything you
want already there.I think they can hang you for barretry so don't get
caught.

Casady

Bizarre (IMO) take on the problem. The eventual mods will be assessed by
a surveyor along with the rest of the craft before plonking in the briney.

Proposed Discharge Permits claus Cruising 27 July 23rd 08 04:17 AM
No Discharge Zone [email protected] Cruising 12 November 12th 05 02:05 PM
Head discharge by foreign vessels in ICW? None General 3 December 31st 04 02:59 AM
overboard discharge TB Cruising 6 March 26th 04 01:45 AM
Discharge Donal ASA 32 January 14th 04 06:57 PM