Default Proposed Discharge Permits

New EPA water permit regulations are on the horizon. Some boaters fear this
could cause them to sink or simply take their boats out of the water
altogether.
On September 30th, the EPA is scheduled to begin court-ordered enforcement
of the Clean Water Act that controls all water discharged from boats during
its normal operation. Recreational boaters had been exempt from it for 34
years because it was meant for large, ocean-going ships.

Now, to comply with the law, the EPA has proposed permits for boaters; the
permits are free and automatic. The EPA says boaters will be required to
take "simple steps" to control water discharge from their boats, but didn't
give me any details about how to do that.

"claus" wrote in message
. ..
New EPA water permit regulations are on the horizon. Some boaters fear
this could cause them to sink or simply take their boats out of the water
altogether.
On September 30th, the EPA is scheduled to begin court-ordered enforcement
of the Clean Water Act that controls all water discharged from boats
during its normal operation. Recreational boaters had been exempt from it
for 34 years because it was meant for large, ocean-going ships.

Now, to comply with the law, the EPA has proposed permits for boaters; the
permits are free and automatic. The EPA says boaters will be required to
take "simple steps" to control water discharge from their boats, but
didn't give me any details about how to do that.

For more info, click this link:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/documents/EPAPERMIT.pdf

"claus" wrote in message
. ..
New EPA water permit regulations are on the horizon. Some boaters fear
this could cause them to sink or simply take their boats out of the water
altogether.
On September 30th, the EPA is scheduled to begin court-ordered enforcement
of the Clean Water Act that controls all water discharged from boats
during its normal operation. Recreational boaters had been exempt from it
for 34 years because it was meant for large, ocean-going ships.

Now, to comply with the law, the EPA has proposed permits for boaters; the
permits are free and automatic. The EPA says boaters will be required to
take "simple steps" to control water discharge from their boats, but
didn't give me any details about how to do that.

In some ways, this is similar to DHS' TWIC card requirements. If you've got
a CG license and use it, you're required by law to get a card for $132. They
can't/won't enforce it unless you're stopped while working and asked to
produce it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 19, 5:21*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"claus" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Ah yes, the wonderful transportation Worker ID Card..... Lets see to
get a MMD, Rate, or License you get to: have background check,
fingerprinted, photographed, letters of recomendation..

Now to get a TWIC AFTER you have the MMD, Rate, License. you will need
to: get ANOTHER background check, get finger printed AGAIN, and
ANOTHER foto.
Thank the Republicans and their public relations campaign that says NO
big govenment and NO taxes.... Im a Democrate and now days consider
myself a consevative!
Bob
Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 19, 4:30*pm, "claus" wrote:
New EPA water permit regulations are on the horizon. Some boaters fear this
could cause them to sink or simply take their boats out of the water
altogether.
On September 30th, the EPA is scheduled to begin court-ordered enforcement
of the Clean Water Act that controls all water discharged from boats during
its normal operation. Recreational boaters had been exempt from it for 34
years because it was meant for large, ocean-going ships.

Now, to comply with the law, the EPA has proposed permits for boaters; the
permits are free and automatic. The EPA says boaters will be required to
take "simple steps" to control water discharge from their boats, but didn't
give me any details about how to do that.

Dear Santa Clause:

I read the link about the new EPA "MARPOL" regs....
Im already compliant. Its just good seamnaship. So what is the big
deal?
Bob

I just ran across another wrinkle in this situation today that requires some
local action. It's Real ID all over again. If your appropriate state
agency fails to send a letter to the EPA in Washington accepting the blanket
permit that is being issued and recongnizing Washington's authority then the
blanket permit does not apply to vessels in that state. I called Inland
Fisheries and Wildlife which handles boat registrations here in the land of
pointed firs and was told that they didn't know anything about it and would
transfer me over to the state DEP since it was clearly their problem. State
DEP knew nothing about it and said they would have to transfer me over to
Inland Fisheries and Wildlife since it was clearly in their jurisdiction. I
have a phone message and email into a legislative liason person whose name I
was given but no response yet.

If your state drops the ball on sending the necessary letter of tribute and
submission to Washington, all recreational vessels with that state
registration will be illegal simply for being in the water after September
30. You might want to ask what your state is doing.

--
Roger Long

I am personally getting tired of this government debacle. I will do
absolutely nothing about getting this permit even if turns out this
thing doesn't get over turned by Sept 30. I highly doubt the EPA will
be at any of the boat ramps I launch from to check if I have it or
not. if my own state can get the story straight who is responsible for
enforcement I doubt very much they will enforce it.

Our government at it's finest.

"Paul" wrote in message
I am personally getting tired of this government debacle. I will do
absolutely nothing about getting this permit even if turns out this
thing doesn't get over turned by Sept 30. I highly doubt the EPA will
be at any of the boat ramps I launch from to check if I have it or
not. if my own state can get the story straight who is responsible for
enforcement I doubt very much they will enforce it.

Our government at it's finest.

It will likely die a quiet death. It's unenforceable.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Paul" wrote in message
I am personally getting tired of this government debacle. I will do
absolutely nothing about getting this permit even if turns out this
thing doesn't get over turned by Sept 30. I highly doubt the EPA will
be at any of the boat ramps I launch from to check if I have it or
not. if my own state can get the story straight who is responsible for
enforcement I doubt very much they will enforce it.

Our government at it's finest.

It will likely die a quiet death. It's unenforceable.

It could be turned into a jobs program. Think of all those good paying jobs
for enforcement personnel and how good it would be for the economy.

Ahoy Scotty- road permits Scout ASA 4 August 23rd 06 10:13 AM
EU cruising permits? Vince LoRusso Cruising 8 April 20th 04 06:10 PM
New Permits will allow Longlining in Protected Areas Capt. Dave General 0 January 23rd 04 02:35 AM
Discharge Donal ASA 32 January 14th 04 07:57 PM
NY State Parks Kayak Permits two_k2003 Touring 6 July 18th 03 04:02 AM