posted to rec.boats.building

Default John boat decking.

I have a 14" heavy duty john boat. The boat came with foam under a thin
metal deck. The foam was saturated with water and disintegrated. I don't
think I can get the exact same foam thickness to reinstall the metal deck
and I don't care for the look of the metal sheeting. I realize that
marine plywood would be best, but it is hard to find and is expensive. I
would need two sheets. Is treated 1/2" plywood acceptable?

posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:25:07 -0400, "Dan Listermann"
wrote:

I have a 14" heavy duty john boat. The boat came with foam under a thin
metal deck. The foam was saturated with water and disintegrated. I don't
think I can get the exact same foam thickness to reinstall the metal deck
and I don't care for the look of the metal sheeting. I realize that
marine plywood would be best, but it is hard to find and is expensive. I
would need two sheets. Is treated 1/2" plywood acceptable?

Probably using other then "marine" or "exterior" grade plywood will be
less then satisfactory as the glue will not be waterproof and will
delaminate.

cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Dan Listermann wrote:
I have a 14" heavy duty john boat. The boat came with foam under a thin
metal deck. The foam was saturated with water and disintegrated. I don't
think I can get the exact same foam thickness to reinstall the metal deck
and I don't care for the look of the metal sheeting. I realize that
marine plywood would be best, but it is hard to find and is expensive. I
would need two sheets. Is treated 1/2" plywood acceptable?

I think you will find in the long run it is a false economy. My brother
made a canoe out of treated plywood and within a couple of years it was
unusable. It rotted from the inside and delaminated.

If you are going to spend the time spend the extra money.
posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message
I have a 14" heavy duty john boat. The boat came with foam under a thin
metal deck. The foam was saturated with water and disintegrated. I don't
think I can get the exact same foam thickness to reinstall the metal deck
and I don't care for the look of the metal sheeting. I realize that
marine plywood would be best, but it is hard to find and is expensive. I
would need two sheets. Is treated 1/2" plywood acceptable?

I use exterior fir rather than pay for marine ply. The difference is marine
ply has more plys and is solid cored, and twice the price. The exterior fir
is constructed with waterproof glue and marine ply is fir.

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:

I have a 14" heavy duty john boat. The boat came with foam under a thin
metal deck. The foam was saturated with water and disintegrated. I don't
think I can get the exact same foam thickness to reinstall the metal deck
and I don't care for the look of the metal sheeting. I realize that
marine plywood would be best, but it is hard to find and is expensive. I
would need two sheets. Is treated 1/2" plywood acceptable?

Probably using other then "marine" or "exterior" grade plywood will be
less then satisfactory as the glue will not be waterproof and will
delaminate.

Nobody stocks 5x10 sheets of marine plywood, but it was no problem
ordering it. Didn't take long, or cost all that much. I wonder how
they shipped it.

Casady

new decking and carpet for pontoon boat? Tom G General 7 September 1st 20 05:22 PM
"Striped" Decking Douglas St. Clair Boat Building 6 January 1st 05 05:10 AM
teak decking .....Ken Boat Building 0 June 12th 04 01:40 PM
Re-Decking a Pontoon Boat--Questions . . . Calif Bill General 2 December 22nd 03 12:38 PM