posted to rec.boats.building
Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default John boat decking.

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:09:36 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:25:07 -0400, "Dan Listermann"
wrote:

I have a 14" heavy duty john boat. The boat came with foam under a thin
metal deck. The foam was saturated with water and disintegrated. I don't
think I can get the exact same foam thickness to reinstall the metal deck
and I don't care for the look of the metal sheeting. I realize that
marine plywood would be best, but it is hard to find and is expensive. I
would need two sheets. Is treated 1/2" plywood acceptable?

Probably using other then "marine" or "exterior" grade plywood will be
less then satisfactory as the glue will not be waterproof and will
delaminate.

Nobody stocks 5x10 sheets of marine plywood, but it was no problem
ordering it. Didn't take long, or cost all that much. I wonder how
they shipped it.

Casady