posted to rec.boats.building

Default putting screws into new fiberglass repair

I am about to finish up a moderate fiberglass deck repair and am
curious about fastening the mounts for the post seats. After I put
the carpeting back down, how do I put in the screws without breaking
the waterproof seal in the new fiberglass? Thanks for the help.
posted to rec.boats.building

Pre drill your screw holes and squeeze in a poly urethane flexible adhesive,
like Sikaflex.
Coat your screw threads with more poly urethane.

...Ken

wrote in message
I am about to finish up a moderate fiberglass deck repair and am
curious about fastening the mounts for the post seats. After I put
the carpeting back down, how do I put in the screws without breaking
the waterproof seal in the new fiberglass? Thanks for the help.

posted to rec.boats.building

I know other people do it, but screws in fiberglass is a really bad idea.
They will not take a lot of force and you expose the fiberglass to potential
damage. It is far better to bond in backing plates and bolt to them . This
spreads the fastener load across a larger area. and sealing the fastener
with deck sealant will prevent leaks.
Steve

wrote in message
I am about to finish up a moderate fiberglass deck repair and am
curious about fastening the mounts for the post seats. After I put
the carpeting back down, how do I put in the screws without breaking
the waterproof seal in the new fiberglass? Thanks for the help.

posted to rec.boats.building

I can't get to the back of the structure to fasten a plate with
bolts. This is the fasten this type of chair mount:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1009&r=view

It is going on the glassed in plywood over foam floor of a deckboat.

I'm thinking some type of high end sealer in predrilled holes and on
the screws will do the trick.

Thanks!