TEE

Default Help.... repair with fiberglass & resin

My husband is rebuilding the seats for our bayliner. He has made the seat
boxes and is ready for fiberglass. He has sealed the plywood with resin.
Now is where we differ in opinion. I say that glass needs to be laid
anywhere that two points of plywood come in contact, i.e. the corners
meeting and the top meeting the sides. I even thought that fiberglass tape
could be used in the hard to get areas. He says that just applying the
resin will seal these areas.
Does anyone have the knowledge to know which is the correct way?
Thanks for any help,,,,,Tee

William R. Watt

use glass fibre for structural reinforcement, ie. strength.
if you think the resin might break under stress then reinforce with fibre.

"TEE" ) writes:
My husband is rebuilding the seats for our bayliner. He has made the seat
boxes and is ready for fiberglass. He has sealed the plywood with resin.
Now is where we differ in opinion. I say that glass needs to be laid
anywhere that two points of plywood come in contact, i.e. the corners
meeting and the top meeting the sides. I even thought that fiberglass tape
could be used in the hard to get areas. He says that just applying the
resin will seal these areas.
Does anyone have the knowledge to know which is the correct way?
Thanks for any help,,,,,Tee

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Reynaud

"TEE" wrote in message
My husband is rebuilding the seats for our bayliner. He has made the

seat
boxes and is ready for fiberglass. He has sealed the plywood with resin.
Now is where we differ in opinion. I say that glass needs to be laid
anywhere that two points of plywood come in contact, i.e. the corners
meeting and the top meeting the sides. I even thought that fiberglass tape
could be used in the hard to get areas. He says that just applying the
resin will seal these areas.
Does anyone have the knowledge to know which is the correct way?
Thanks for any help,,,,,Tee

Hello Tee. Always use glass in area,s such as joints as they are the

weakest point in a structure. If need be use bidirectional cloth which will
form around crevasses and protrusions a lot better than unidirectional
cloth.

Rey

Jonathan

If you just want to seal the area, your husband is correct.

If you want to strengthen and reinforce the area, you are correct that
the glass cloth is needed.

Jonathan

TEE wrote:
My husband is rebuilding the seats for our bayliner. He has made the seat
boxes and is ready for fiberglass. He has sealed the plywood with resin.
Now is where we differ in opinion. I say that glass needs to be laid
anywhere that two points of plywood come in contact, i.e. the corners
meeting and the top meeting the sides. I even thought that fiberglass tape
could be used in the hard to get areas. He says that just applying the
resin will seal these areas.
Does anyone have the knowledge to know which is the correct way?
Thanks for any help,,,,,Tee

Joel

"TEE" wrote in message news:TFPMc.183434$Oq2.134609@attbi_s52...
My husband is rebuilding the seats for our bayliner. He has made the seat
boxes and is ready for fiberglass. He has sealed the plywood with resin.
Now is where we differ in opinion. I say that glass needs to be laid
anywhere that two points of plywood come in contact, i.e. the corners
meeting and the top meeting the sides. I even thought that fiberglass tape
could be used in the hard to get areas. He says that just applying the
resin will seal these areas.
Does anyone have the knowledge to know which is the correct way?
Thanks for any help,,,,,Tee

Just some regular 4" 9 oz. tape would be fine. I doubt you need biax
tape for this job.

Joel
boatbuildercentral.com

TEE

Thanks to you all...... Guess the hubby was right, but you know women can
be stubborn and hard-headed... at least southern ones LOL.
He did it his way, but appeased me and sealed the seams as I wanted.
Thanks again!!!
Tee