BoatBanter.com

-   -   putting screws into new fiberglass repair (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/102987-putting-screws-into-new-fiberglass-repair.html)

[email protected] February 27th 09 01:25 AM

putting screws into new fiberglass repair

I am about to finish up a moderate fiberglass deck repair and am
curious about fastening the mounts for the post seats. After I put
the carpeting back down, how do I put in the screws without breaking
the waterproof seal in the new fiberglass? Thanks for the help.

Bruce in Bangkok[_12_] February 27th 09 01:29 PM

putting screws into new fiberglass repair

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:25:38 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I am about to finish up a moderate fiberglass deck repair and am
curious about fastening the mounts for the post seats. After I put
the carpeting back down, how do I put in the screws without breaking
the waterproof seal in the new fiberglass? Thanks for the help.

It is probably not the best plan to use screws into fiberglass. Better
to use bolts with a backing plate of some sort. If the deck is
fiberglass over wood, foam, or anything else that might absorb water
the usual recommendation is to drill out the hole oversize and fill it
with epoxy filler - maybe epoxy resin mixed with one of the higher
strength additives. After the filler hardens then sand flush and drill
your hole, use some sort of sealant and mount your part.

The reasoning is when it begins to leak the core of the deck will not
become saturated and deteriorate.

Of course if it is solid fiberglass just drill the hole and use a dab
of sealant as solid fiberglass will not absorb significant amounts of
water when used above the water line.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Island Teak February 27th 09 04:43 PM

putting screws into new fiberglass repair

Pre drill your screw holes and squeeze in a poly urethane flexible adhesive,
like Sikaflex.
Coat your screw threads with more poly urethane.

...Ken

Steve Lusardi February 28th 09 03:03 PM

putting screws into new fiberglass repair

I know other people do it, but screws in fiberglass is a really bad idea.
They will not take a lot of force and you expose the fiberglass to potential
damage. It is far better to bond in backing plates and bolt to them . This
spreads the fastener load across a larger area. and sealing the fastener
with deck sealant will prevent leaks.
Steve

[email protected] March 15th 09 04:09 PM

putting screws into new fiberglass repair

I can't get to the back of the structure to fasten a plate with
bolts. This is the fasten this type of chair mount:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1009&r=view

It is going on the glassed in plywood over foam floor of a deckboat.

I'm thinking some type of high end sealer in predrilled holes and on
the screws will do the trick.

Thanks!