posted to rec.boats.building

Default Stevensons MiniCup

Hi

I completed a marine ply-wood Minicup hull in Auckland , NZ in 2007,
but did not get futher as we moved to Canada. I sold the hull.

I am working on the design aspects of building a skin-on-frame
Minicup, using the techniques I learned building a Tom Yost pvc skin /
aluminum frame kayak.

It will be interesting to see how this proceeds. All feedback from
Minicup builders welcome.

Cheers

Sofcrafts

On Feb 13, 7:22 pm, wrote:
Hi

I completed a marine ply-wood Minicup hull in Auckland , NZ in 2007,
but did not get futher as we moved to Canada. I sold the hull.

I am working on the design aspects of building a skin-on-frame
Minicup, using the techniques I learned building a Tom Yost pvc skin /
aluminum frame kayak.

It will be interesting to see how this proceeds. All feedback from
Minicup builders welcome.

Cheers

Sofcrafts

how about experienced SOF builders?

wrote in message

Hi

I completed a marine ply-wood Minicup hull in Auckland , NZ in 2007,
but did not get futher as we moved to Canada. I sold the hull.

I am working on the design aspects of building a skin-on-frame
Minicup, using the techniques I learned building a Tom Yost pvc skin /
aluminum frame kayak.

It will be interesting to see how this proceeds. All feedback from
Minicup builders welcome.

Cheers

Sofcrafts

What is "skin on frame". I also think the Minicup hulls are heavy ( I
built two). I have dragged them around a lot and have also repaired
them a lot. They really need about 10+ kts wind to really move.
I was looking at1/8" ply yesterday wondering if it and 4 oz glass
would work for a MiniCup.

wrote in message

Hi

I completed a marine ply-wood Minicup hull in Auckland , NZ in 2007,
but did not get futher as we moved to Canada. I sold the hull.

I am working on the design aspects of building a skin-on-frame
Minicup, using the techniques I learned building a Tom Yost pvc skin /
aluminum frame kayak.

It will be interesting to see how this proceeds. All feedback from
Minicup builders welcome.

Cheers

Sofcrafts

My original MiniCups were made from 3/16 ply so I can imagine that one
made from 1/4" ply would be really heavy.
posted to rec.boats.building

My Minicup was made from 1/4 inch marine ply, and I used the comman
bath scales with a scary rig arrangement to weigh it and the bare hull
--no rudder,no centre-board come up to some 170lbs. Not easy to
cartop.

frame of wood or other material to conform to your hull shape and then
cover it with a waterproof "skin" which will enable the frame to
float. Just Google it. The 16 foot kayak I built weighs under 30 lbs.
For those interested see www.yostwerks.com.

Re the SOF-Mcup design, I wonder if I should add a wee bit of rocker
to keep the transom end out of the water. Will try to input into
Carlsons Hulls, if some one has done it, would appreciate receiving
the file.

Cheers

wrote in message

Hi

I completed a marine ply-wood Minicup hull in Auckland , NZ in 2007,
but did not get futher as we moved to Canada. I sold the hull.

I am working on the design aspects of building a skin-on-frame
Minicup, using the techniques I learned building a Tom Yost pvc skin /
aluminum frame kayak.

It will be interesting to see how this proceeds. All feedback from
Minicup builders welcome.

Cheers

Sofcrafts

My original MiniCups were made from 3/16 ply so I can imagine that one
made from 1/4" ply would be really heavy.

the thirty foot umiak (SOF traditional whale boat) i sail around in
tops at 300 lbs. 4 kts of wind push it easy as you want with the junk
rig. she will do every bit of her hull speed in 9 kts. it will be fun
to see a spray. unless you get gorilla with it i cant see it much over
80 lbs.

wrote in message

[...]

As I said, I used 3/16 ply and I can get mine atop my truck and can
get it to and from water with the dolly but I like the SOF concept but
it looks too fragile for the abuse I give my boats. I sail onto
oyster bars, drag my boats up and down embankments, etc. I wonder
about a lightweight glass skin on frame. I have also rebuilt both
MiniCups. There must be a better way, a sort of 1/8" ply cover with 4
oz glass done as stitch and glue. Replace the solid wood piece
joining the bottom pieces with a paper tube cut in half and glassed.
Make the cockpit round to avoid the heavy bulkheads. Get rid of the
decking that covers the edges of the cockpit (although it gives a
place to sit). Stitch and glue would eliminate most stringers too.

wrote in message

[...]

Dont know Frog both the umiaks are made with 12 oz skin and fully
impregnated with varathane. Ive gotton wear holes in them in a couple
of places but have yet to have anything like rocks or glass poke a
hole in them. replaced the skin on one and it was a bitch just to get
a knife into it. just like a ply boat there are things that will eat
it alive. you might have to change the type of abuse you give it.
however a dab or so of aquaseal will fix it right up.
I would say give it a try they are not very costly. or come on over
and try one of mine out.
i have one junk rigged and the other runs a two point five outboard.
one thing you might like is that these loverly things self damp the
wake of other boats; its the coolest thing.