posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sailing is DEAD

wrote in message
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 21, 9:04*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
I can certainly understand that, but I do enjoy sailing in the SF bay, even
when it's not for money. I suppose there are some destination up here that
are worth being at, Angel Island, Sams, the former tends toward zoo status
of lots of powerboaters on weekends (though certainly the majority are
sailboats), and the latter has too many "beautiful" people (who drove there)
sitting on the deck.

When I was on my way down the coast, I stopped in SF for a month, and
*did* take a day-sail to Angel Island. However, it wasn't about the
sailing; I took a girl to show off my boat and truthfully my objective
was to get laid. (Yes, I remember Bobsprit - hopefully the comparisons
end there). Anyway... file under: "exhilaration."

I suppose a pretty important factor (outside of adventure,
exhilaration, destination) would be "relaxation," which is probably
more important to many day-sailors than any of the others, and isn't
something power boats can compete with - during the journey, anyway.

Pants
s/v Chemistry
Lying San Carlos, Sonora, MX
tacotraveler.com
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Edgar" wrote:
Well, I suppose it is not a 'powerboat' as generally understood in this ng,
but I do also have a motorboat as well as my sailboat.
She is 22' long and clinker built by my father in 1918 in English elm, a
wood which has an indefinite life in salt water.
I give her plenty of tlc because she will soon be 100 years old even if I am
not around to see that anniversary.
Originally she had a U.S. made Atlantic twin cylinder engine which was
relatively large for its power (7/8 hp?)as it only ran at about 600 rpm.
During the ar she was commandeered by the Royal Navy and used for taking
sailors to and from their ships in harbour.
The family got her back after the war but sadly without the original engine.
She is on her second engine since then and has much more power than before
and can run easily at about 6 knots.
Norwegians love vintage cars and classic wooden boats and mine got onto the
front page of the local paper when I brought her here.

I love vintage boats too, you tell us all that and then torment us by
not showing a photo!!

With less than 2' draft I can explore all sorts of places no sailboat can
enter.

I dunno, our last sailboat could go in less than 2' of water but not
much less. I wouldn't do it in places whewre there were rocks &
such...come to think of it, wood hulls & bronze props don't like rocks
much either.... And I have not doubt at all that your Dad's motor
launch is a *much* better looking boat than that sailboat was. Ah
well, everything's a compromise!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
"Edgar" wrote:
[...]

I will sort some out and come back to you shortly...

Is he dead....? Capt. Rob ASA 2 October 11th 06 06:47 PM
Longest Dead Calm (or Becalmed) Sailing Experience? Bryan Cruising 23 December 7th 05 04:37 AM
Hear "Nautical Talk Radio" - Sailing to the Med, Red, & Dead Seas Capt Lou Cruising 2 November 29th 04 09:36 PM
.ASA is dead Michael ASA 70 October 12th 04 12:58 AM
Our Hero is Dead, Dead, Dead John Gaquin General 46 July 2nd 04 12:16 PM