posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Starting Over

"Dave" wrote in message
How does one sail Democrat?

Have the helmsman take his orders from Washington.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
How does one sail Democrat?

Have the helmsman take his orders from Washington.

Because there are no Republicans in charge there... including the
high-functioning moron and his high-functioning moronic cabinet....
WASHINGTON (CNN) — U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the United
States would be prepared to reconcile with the Taliban if the Afghan
government pursued talks to end the seven-year conflict in that country.

Gates made the comments to reporters while at a meeting of NATO defense
ministers in Budapest, Hungary, Thursday and comes as the United States and
NATO look for answers to reduce the record violence gripping the country
this year.

U.S. commanders in Afghanistan have asked for an additional 15,000 troops,
but the call has gone unanswered, with the United States short on troops and
NATO countries not interested in contributing more personnel.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 10 Oct, 19:54, "jlrogers±³©" wrote:
My recent employer, as a going away gift (bribe?), gave me a gift
certificate for some sailing time at South Coast Sailing Adventures out of
Kemah, TX. I have decided to apply it to sailing lessons, beginning with
ASA 101 through basic coastal cruising, and bareboat charting. I figure
this will give me an opportunity to find out if I am still capable of
sailing and enjoying it as much as 25 years ago. Also, I will be staying
aboard rather than spending the nights at a motel during class periods.
($50.00 a night).

First up is a two day session beginning next Thursday. Hopefully I will
meet some folks in the area who need (or at least will settle for) some
inexperienced crew help.

Any suggestions or helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi JL.

I would suggest that you do not understimate your abilities.

I've had ex-members of the British RN as crew. They are
awsome. It never ceases to amaze me that they accept me
as skipper! They never question my decisions, even though
I *know* that they are better qualified than I am to take these
decisions.

What I am saying is that they really underestimate their
abilities. I think that military service makes you feel much
less competent than you really are. When you think about
it, this makes sense for the military environment.

You write sensibly. So I guess that you are sensible. You know
that a trip into a F8 headwind is silly. Don't worry about
your ability. When you are in the class of learners you will
see that that you have loads of experience.

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:48:30 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:09:46 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

Out here, it doesn't take much for the level of
anxiety some students have during a class, coupled with the wrong kind of
clothing (e.g., too much or too little) and/or too much or too little food
in the belly, to cause a problem.

I have it on good authority that you're a damned good instructor, Jon.

Thanks, but you forgot to add "for a liberal Democrat." LOL

It was implied. Especially, since I'm pretty sure I know which
"authority" was cited.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

And now... wait for it.... Bu**** is going to take N. Korea off the
terrorist state list... I guess restarting their nuclear program but saying
they'll let the inspectors back in is good enough. Sheesh....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:54:31 -0500, "jlrogers±³©"
wrote:

My recent employer, as a going away gift (bribe?), gave me a gift
certificate for some sailing time at South Coast Sailing Adventures out of
Kemah, TX. I have decided to apply it to sailing lessons, beginning with
ASA 101 through basic coastal cruising, and bareboat charting. I figure
this will give me an opportunity to find out if I am still capable of
sailing and enjoying it as much as 25 years ago. Also, I will be staying
aboard rather than spending the nights at a motel during class periods.
($50.00 a night).

First up is a two day session beginning next Thursday. Hopefully I will
meet some folks in the area who need (or at least will settle for) some
inexperienced crew help.

Any suggestions or helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on your new direction.

If you want to gain experience sailing different boats, show up on
race day at any of the club regattas. I've never been to a race day
when there weren't skippers walking the docks looking for crew to
replace no shows. Tell the race director your available, they often
keep a list.

Have fun.

And congratulations on starting an on topic thread, however, as you
can see, the usual suspects can turn that on a dime.

Frank

jlrogers±³©
"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
How does one sail Democrat?

Have the helmsman take his orders from Washington.

Oh crap, now we've done it again. Another thing wrong with ASA is that
every thread gets politicized and degenerates into political, sexual, or
racial rhetoric. Can't we just all get along?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Frank, I'll google around and seee what's in the area.

jlrogers±³©
"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
How does one sail Democrat?

Have the helmsman take his orders from Washington.

Oh crap, now we've done it again. Another thing wrong with ASA is that
every thread gets politicized and degenerates into political, sexual, or
racial rhetoric. Can't we just all get along?

Ok. I'll vote for Bush. I mean McCain. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Starting batteries for 20 HP Roger Long Cruising 33 January 27th 05 03:20 AM
starting old merc Chris General 7 June 8th 04 03:20 AM
Starting a new newsgroup? NOYB General 57 February 2nd 04 06:53 PM
Starting out John Smith Boat Building 7 November 10th 03 04:58 PM
Starting Problems Brad Schreck Electronics 3 July 19th 03 08:01 PM