BoatBanter.com

-   -   Starting Over (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/99063-starting-over.html)

jlrogers±³©[_2_] October 10th 08 07:54 PM

Starting Over

My recent employer, as a going away gift (bribe?), gave me a gift
certificate for some sailing time at South Coast Sailing Adventures out of
Kemah, TX. I have decided to apply it to sailing lessons, beginning with
ASA 101 through basic coastal cruising, and bareboat charting. I figure
this will give me an opportunity to find out if I am still capable of
sailing and enjoying it as much as 25 years ago. Also, I will be staying
aboard rather than spending the nights at a motel during class periods.
($50.00 a night).

First up is a two day session beginning next Thursday. Hopefully I will
meet some folks in the area who need (or at least will settle for) some
inexperienced crew help.

Any suggestions or helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

jlrogers±³©
"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

Capt. JG October 10th 08 08:09 PM

Starting Over

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a great experience in the offing... I think you'll enjoy the
class, and my bet is that it'll reenforce your perceptions about your
previous experiences. I'm not sure what the conditions are like in Kemah,
but one thing to be mindful of is the proper clothing and preparation w.r.t.
avoiding being seasick. Out here, it doesn't take much for the level of
anxiety some students have during a class, coupled with the wrong kind of
clothing (e.g., too much or too little) and/or too much or too little food
in the belly, to cause a problem.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

jlrogers±³©[_2_] October 10th 08 08:19 PM

Starting Over

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
[...]

Good advice. In four years at sea on a destroyer, and four or five years of
sailing, in all kinds of weather, including a couple of typhoons, I was
seasick only once and that was on a beautiful day on a flat, glassy sea.
It was on the USS Boyd DD544, in the western Pacific. We were chasing a
carrier at 34 knots and the ship and her deck plates were vibrating so bad
it made me (and most others aboard) as sick as a sea scout on his maiden
voyage.

Capt. JG October 10th 08 08:29 PM

Starting Over

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
[...]

It's interesting that sometimes fairly nasty conditions yield no problem,
when the benign stuff causes problems. I'm usually more prone as the
conditions deteriorate, but I usually recover pretty quickly.

I had the opposite situation happen while sailing out of Santa Cruz several
years ago. It was a beautiful and calm day with light air and lazy,
no-dramatic swells. You could see this from shore. We were on a 45' sloop.
Yet, I started to feel quesy on the foredeck. Moved back to the cockpit and
felt better, but if I would have stayed forward....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Vic Smith October 10th 08 09:26 PM

Starting Over

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:19:43 -0500, "jlrogers±³©"
wrote:

Good advice. In four years at sea on a destroyer, and four or five years of
sailing, in all kinds of weather, including a couple of typhoons, I was
seasick only once and that was on a beautiful day on a flat, glassy sea.
It was on the USS Boyd DD544, in the western Pacific. We were chasing a
carrier at 34 knots and the ship and her deck plates were vibrating so bad
it made me (and most others aboard) as sick as a sea scout on his maiden
voyage.

That's fast. Full ahead on my can was 27 knots. But we were ASW
intended, and got up to speed very fast. USS John King (DDG-3).
I loved flank speed. In or out of the boiler room.
That's where the keels hits the water, and the machinery gets its
test.
Though I never got seasick to the puke point, we occasionally steamed
in heavy sea where everybody was queasy, including me.
But I felt worse crewing on a 36' across Lake Michigan in 4-6' waters,
so a 400' can and a sailboat are different animals on the seasickness
score.

--Vic

Vic Smith October 10th 08 09:33 PM

Starting Over

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:29:13 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

It's interesting that sometimes fairly nasty conditions yield no problem,
when the benign stuff causes problems. I'm usually more prone as the
conditions deteriorate, but I usually recover pretty quickly.

Went out one time in a 36' with some workmates. Motoring only,
absolutely flat water. One guy almost died from seasickness.
Some people really have trouble with it.

I had the opposite situation happen while sailing out of Santa Cruz several
years ago. It was a beautiful and calm day with light air and lazy,
no-dramatic swells. You could see this from shore. We were on a 45' sloop.
Yet, I started to feel quesy on the foredeck. Moved back to the cockpit and
felt better, but if I would have stayed forward....

Can be a huge difference, especially with pitching.
I was berthed about midships, and always wondered what the guys in the
foc'sle were going through when I could barely stay in my rack.
The v-berth is likewise a bad place when pitching/yawing.

--Vic

Capt. JG October 10th 08 09:48 PM

Starting Over

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:09:46 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

Out here, it doesn't take much for the level of
anxiety some students have during a class, coupled with the wrong kind of
clothing (e.g., too much or too little) and/or too much or too little food
in the belly, to cause a problem.

I have it on good authority that you're a damned good instructor, Jon.

Thanks, but you forgot to add "for a liberal Democrat." LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

jlrogers±³©[_2_] October 10th 08 09:53 PM

Starting Over

wrote:

[...]

That's why they berth the Chief Petty officers in the bow. :) But it's the
yaw that can make even the most salty sailor sick.

jlrogers±³©[_2_] October 10th 08 09:58 PM

Starting Over

wrote:

[...]

The Boyd's top speed during my service was 36 knots. The black gang would
rig fire hoses to cool the shafts and after about eight hours we would have
to be relieved. Then we would require at least 24 hours for damage
control.

Capt. JG October 10th 08 10:19 PM

Starting Over

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:48:30 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

I have it on good authority that you're a damned good instructor, Jon.

Thanks, but you forgot to add "for a liberal Democrat." LOL

How does one sail Democrat?

Oh, I know. Turn only to port so you end up going in circles. g

That's it!!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com