posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Lessons from FHYC flare shoot

wrote in message
If a flare lands on the deck of a boat, good luck! It will burn it's way

down
and out through the bottom very quickly while you try and figure out what
you
have on board that will extinguish a magnesium fire. (hint: you don't have
anything) They will burn right through the bottom of a metal bucket.

A guy o a wooden boat moored right next to where I was anchored in a harbour
full of boats thought it would be a good idea to let off an expired
parachute flare at the conclusion of the regatta.
The flare ignited but only travelled a few feet and fell into the water. We
watched it burn underwater as it sank.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:17:11 -0600, "Roger Helio"
wrote this crap:

Pyrene fire extinguishers where the defacto fire extinguisher aboard boats
up until the 1950's.

http://www.vintagefe.com/chriscraft.html

Two problems:

1. They used carbon tetrachloride as the agent which affects the human brain
("mad hatter").

2. When used on burning magnesium, phosgene (nerve gas) was generated.

Today, a powder substance also called "Pyrene" is used for class D
extinguishers which include magnesium fires. However, I don't believe it is
carbon tet. I would recommend mariners carrying a Class D extinguisher as
well as filling the mast with concrete for fire protection.

It's been a while since I took organic chemistry, but I still remember
that carbon tet, (CCL4 ) is highly flammable. Not to mention,
poisonous.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

wrote this crap:

[...]

Didja miss the part where he suggested filling the mast with concrete?

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:34:46 -0400, "Lee" wrote:

It's been a while since I took organic chemistry, but I still remember
that carbon tet, (CCL4 ) is highly flammable. Not to mention,
poisonous.

It's not at all flammible. Its already burned with chlorine as the
oxidizer,and the carbon will hang on to the chlorine even if oxygen
wants the spot. I am old enough to remember when it was used as the
filler in fire extinguishers. Carbon disulfide is the flammible one.

Casady

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:34:46 -0400, "Lee" wrote:

It's been a while since I took organic chemistry, but I still remember
that carbon tet, (CCL4 ) is highly flammable. Not to mention,
poisonous.

It's not at all flammible. Its already burned with chlorine as the
oxidizer,and the carbon will hang on to the chlorine even if oxygen
wants the spot. I am old enough to remember when it was used as the
filler in fire extinguishers. Carbon disulfide is the flammible one.

Casady

Learn how to quote properly. I didn't write any of that.

Are you related to boob****?

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:34:46 -0400, "Lee" wrote this
crap:

Pyrene fire extinguishers where the defacto fire extinguisher aboard boats
up until the 1950's.

Didja miss the part where he suggested filling the mast with concrete?

Uh. Not really. Would you give your superpowers for his brainiac
ability?

Bloody Horvath wrote:
Uh. Not really. Would you give your superpowers for his brainiac
ability?

No, but I bet he'd trade for retractable claws like Wolverine.

DSK

On Apr 21, 1:17*pm, "Roger Helio" wrote:

1. They used carbon tetrachloride as the agent which affects the human brain
("mad hatter").

The Hatter was mad because of mercury (used in the manufacture of felt
hats) poisoning.

2. When used on burning magnesium, phosgene (nerve gas) was generated.

Phosgene is a choking agent.

Shoot. Daedalus ASA 4 April 13th 07 08:05 AM
Shoot em up! Vito ASA 7 March 15th 05 05:30 PM
OT - If you're gonna shoot your lawyer....... Clams Canino General 7 November 3rd 03 08:26 PM
Shoot the Pope...Please! CANDChelp ASA 30 August 2nd 03 05:45 PM