posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Tacking on Headers (Newbie Question)

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 18, 1:33 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

ups.com...

It looks like I'll be sailing in Catalina 27's and 250's for the next
year.

I've been reading a lot about:
Tiny boat: Take every wind shift.
Huge boat: Not always! With the time/distance lost in turning a large
boat this may not be best.

So what would be the general rule for 25-27 footers?

What rules/guidelines do I use to learn properly the best way or
frequency or wind shift arc to tack?

Not sure what you're asking. This size boat can be quite stable and
enjoyable in up to about 25 kts wind, assuming you reef as appropriate.
sailed a Catalina 27 for years on the SF bay in condition such as this
with
no problem. If you're unfamiliar with sailing in these conditions, take
some
lessons. Where are you sailing?

--
"j" ganz

I'm asking the question that Jeff answered. (oversimplified example
Dingy sailors tack on every header. At some point, in larger boats, is
there a point of diminishing returns, where it would NOT be best to
tack on every header??

I joined the Navy Yacht Club in San Diego, CA. They have Catalina 27's
and 250's. I just qualified, in the 27's/250's, so will be sailing
both until next spring to see the differences, and get experience.

Ah... Jeff's smarter than I am. :-)

No ****? I thought that EVERYONY was smarter than you

--
"j" ganz @@
www.now.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Big Jon" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 18, 1:33 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

ups.com...

It looks like I'll be sailing in Catalina 27's and 250's for the
next
year.

I've been reading a lot about:
Tiny boat: Take every wind shift.
Huge boat: Not always! With the time/distance lost in turning a
large
boat this may not be best.

So what would be the general rule for 25-27 footers?

What rules/guidelines do I use to learn properly the best way or
frequency or wind shift arc to tack?

Not sure what you're asking. This size boat can be quite stable and
enjoyable in up to about 25 kts wind, assuming you reef as
appropriate. I
[...]

Everybody IS smarter. And everybody is straighter from both a sexual
preference and drug standpoint.

Greg