Doug Miller

Default newbie with more tacking questions.

sailed with another fellow today, who suggested that during the tack, that i
not pull the head sail sheet in too soon, but leave the sail full as the
boat swings around, and then only after establishing new heading, trim the
sail.

only got to try it once before a little pop up thunderstorm arrived, putting
us back into the dock. seemed to make an improvement on my tack. will have
to wait for another chance to try.

comments?

Capt. Mooron

Backing the jib is a common way to speed up a tack in light airs.

CM

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
| sailed with another fellow today, who suggested that during the tack, that
| not pull the head sail sheet in too soon, but leave the sail full as the
| boat swings around, and then only after establishing new heading, trim the
| sail.
|
| only got to try it once before a little pop up thunderstorm arrived,
putting
| us back into the dock. seemed to make an improvement on my tack. will
have
| to wait for another chance to try.
|
| comments?

Donal

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
sailed with another fellow today, who suggested that during the tack, that

not pull the head sail sheet in too soon, but leave the sail full as the
boat swings around, and then only after establishing new heading, trim the
sail.

only got to try it once before a little pop up thunderstorm arrived,

putting
us back into the dock. seemed to make an improvement on my tack. will

have
to wait for another chance to try.

comments?

There are two things going on here. One is that if you leave the jenny
alone, it will "back" as the boat tacks. The wind will then push the poat
through the tack. As the boat goes through the wind, you let the sheet fo
free.

The second is a little more difficult to explain. It is easier to gain
speed at 90 degrees to the wind than at 35 degrees(apparent). So when you
tack, the helmsman will tack a bit further than necessary, so that he can
gain speed. Therefore, you don't immediately sheet the jenny flat. The
helmsman will bear away from the wind to build up speed. You gradually
sheet the jenny in, as the boat heads up onto the new course.

If my explanation isn't clear, then ask again.

Regards

Donal

Simple Simon

No it won't provided the boat is swung smartly around and
the jib is only backed for a second or two. What a backed jib
takes away in its backing it gives back to the mainsail which still
pulls until the release of the jib's windward sheet. This is why
the main 'Pops' over the second the windward jib sheet is released.

Try learning how to tack like a real sailor and you might be more
successful at it.

"Oz1" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:07:26 +0100, "Donal"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
sailed with another fellow today, who suggested that during the tack, that

not pull the head sail sheet in too soon, but leave the sail full as the
boat swings around, and then only after establishing new heading, trim the
sail.

only got to try it once before a little pop up thunderstorm arrived,

putting
us back into the dock. seemed to make an improvement on my tack. will

have
to wait for another chance to try.

comments?

There are two things going on here. One is that if you leave the jenny
alone, it will "back" as the boat tacks. The wind will then push the poat
through the tack. As the boat goes through the wind, you let the sheet fo
free.

Backing the jib will slow the boat!

The second is a little more difficult to explain. It is easier to gain
speed at 90 degrees to the wind than at 35 degrees(apparent). So when you
tack, the helmsman will tack a bit further than necessary, so that he can
gain speed. Therefore, you don't immediately sheet the jenny flat. The
helmsman will bear away from the wind to build up speed. You gradually
sheet the jenny in, as the boat heads up onto the new course.

If my explanation isn't clear, then ask again.

Regards

Donal

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Jeff Morris

Why would bearing off without easing the main increase the speed? I think it would
increase the heel, the leeway, and start the keel stalling. You'll be starting the tack
heeled more and have 10 degrees further to turn. All in all, it seems like a pretty silly
thing to do.

Its a lot like the way young girls drive a car: veering to the right before a left turn.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

. ..
sailed with another fellow today, who suggested that during the tack, that i
not pull the head sail sheet in too soon, but leave the sail full as the
boat swings around, and then only after establishing new heading, trim the
sail.

That guy also does not know what he's doing. The best way to tack
quickly, surely and without sailing past 90 degrees is:

1) Sail as close-hauled as your boat can handle and still make good headway

2) Both main and jib should have windward telltales lifting and leeward telltales
streaming straight back.

3) Leaving both sails trimmed in tight, head off about ten degrees and increase
your boat speed.

4) Then head up in a graceful but purposeful curve so as to not rub off too much
speed. Don't stall the rudder.

5) Watch the jib. When the jib backs and comes over on the opposite side
so it is aback let fly the windward sheet and haul in on the leeward sheet.
If you do this turn with the proper speed and dispatch and you are sharp with
handling the jib sheets your mainsail will actually "POP" to the other
side making a popping sound.

6) You should now be sailing on the other tack and still have good speed
and have only turned through about 90 degrees from your original
closed-hauled course.

katysails

Donal says:
The wind will then push the boat
through the tack.

You've contradicted yourself. You shoyld be saying that the wind Hoovers the boat through the tack.
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Pony Express

Light air? Maybe he should be roll tacking?
--
----
Steve

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Cappy... but if you have to back a jib to get a decent tack there are

other
things grossly wrong with your boat or sailing skills. Look.... backing a
jib should only be utilized to assist a tack in light airs where forward
speed is impaired by sea state or obstructions. Think about this because

speak as a full keeler here and I'd be friggin embarrassed to have to back

friggin' jib on a fin keeler to execute a tack... in any wind speed.!!!

CM

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

| No it won't provided the boat is swung smartly around and
| the jib is only backed for a second or two. What a backed jib
| takes away in its backing it gives back to the mainsail which still
| pulls until the release of the jib's windward sheet. This is why
| the main 'Pops' over the second the windward jib sheet is released.
|
| Try learning how to tack like a real sailor and you might be more
| successful at it.
|
| "Oz1" wrote in message
| On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:07:26 +0100, "Donal"
| wrote:
|

| "Doug Miller" wrote in message
| sailed with another fellow today, who suggested that during the

tack,
that
| not pull the head sail sheet in too soon, but leave the sail full

as
the
| boat swings around, and then only after establishing new heading,
trim the
| sail.
|
| only got to try it once before a little pop up thunderstorm

arrived,
| putting
| us back into the dock. seemed to make an improvement on my tack.
will
| have
| to wait for another chance to try.
|
| comments?
|

| There are two things going on here. One is that if you leave the

jenny
| alone, it will "back" as the boat tacks. The wind will then push

the
poat
| through the tack. As the boat goes through the wind, you let the

sheet
fo
| free.
|
| Backing the jib will slow the boat!
|
| The second is a little more difficult to explain. It is easier to

gain
| speed at 90 degrees to the wind than at 35 degrees(apparent). So

when
you
| tack, the helmsman will tack a bit further than necessary, so that

he
can
| gain speed. Therefore, you don't immediately sheet the jenny flat.

The
| helmsman will bear away from the wind to build up speed. You

gradually
| sheet the jenny in, as the boat heads up onto the new course.
|

| If my explanation isn't clear, then ask again.
|

| Regards
|

| Donal
|

| Oz1...of the 3 twins.
| I welcome you to crackerbox palace,We've been expecting you.

Capt. Mooron

Try a roll tack on my boat and you wouldn't spill a full glass of beer with
all hands to one side.

Must be a fin keeler thing.... :-D

CM

"Pony Express" wrote in message
| Light air? Maybe he should be roll tacking?
| --
| ----
| Steve
| S/V Pony Express
|
| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| Cappy... but if you have to back a jib to get a decent tack there are
| other
| things grossly wrong with your boat or sailing skills. Look.... backing
| jib should only be utilized to assist a tack in light airs where forward
| speed is impaired by sea state or obstructions. Think about this
because
| speak as a full keeler here and I'd be friggin embarrassed to have to
back
| friggin' jib on a fin keeler to execute a tack... in any wind speed.!!!
|
| CM
|
| "Simple Simon" wrote in message
| |
| | No it won't provided the boat is swung smartly around and
| | the jib is only backed for a second or two. What a backed jib
| | takes away in its backing it gives back to the mainsail which still
| | pulls until the release of the jib's windward sheet. This is why
| | the main 'Pops' over the second the windward jib sheet is released.
| |
| | Try learning how to tack like a real sailor and you might be more
| | successful at it.
| |
| | "Oz1" wrote in message
| | On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:07:26 +0100, "Donal"
| | wrote:
| |
| |
| | "Doug Miller" wrote in message
| | sailed with another fellow today, who suggested that during the
| tack,
| that
| | not pull the head sail sheet in too soon, but leave the sail full
| as
| the
| | boat swings around, and then only after establishing new heading,
| trim the
| | sail.
| |
| | only got to try it once before a little pop up thunderstorm
| arrived,
| | putting
| | us back into the dock. seemed to make an improvement on my tack.
| will
| | have
| | to wait for another chance to try.
| |
| | comments?
| |
| |
| | There are two things going on here. One is that if you leave the
| jenny
| | alone, it will "back" as the boat tacks. The wind will then push
| the
| poat
| | through the tack. As the boat goes through the wind, you let the
| sheet
| fo
| | free.
| |
| | Backing the jib will slow the boat!
| |
| | The second is a little more difficult to explain. It is easier to
| gain
| | speed at 90 degrees to the wind than at 35 degrees(apparent). So
| when
| you
| | tack, the helmsman will tack a bit further than necessary, so that
| he
| can
| | gain speed. Therefore, you don't immediately sheet the jenny flat.
| The
| | helmsman will bear away from the wind to build up speed. You
| gradually
| | sheet the jenny in, as the boat heads up onto the new course.
| |
| |
| | If my explanation isn't clear, then ask again.
| |
| |
| | Regards
| |
| |
| | Donal
| |
| |
| |
| | Oz1...of the 3 twins.
| | I welcome you to crackerbox palace,We've been expecting you.
| |
| |

Horvath

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:23:27 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote this crap:

Try a roll tack on my boat and you wouldn't spill a full glass of beer with
all hands to one side.

Hard to tack while at anchor.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Beers!