posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Major Milestone: the Mississippi River

This morning we entered the Mississippi River, at Grafton IL where the
Illinois River joins the big one. Both rivers are above normal level
with strong current and lots of debris, it really isn't much fun. But
it's a major milestone on the trip and we're looking forward to
getting into calmer waters.

Regards to all-
Doug

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
This morning we entered the Mississippi River, at Grafton IL where the
Illinois River joins the big one. Both rivers are above normal level
with strong current and lots of debris, it really isn't much fun. But
it's a major milestone on the trip and we're looking forward to
getting into calmer waters.

Regards to all-
Doug

If you're going south turn east at the Ohio River and then go up the
Tennessee River then on down the Tennessee/Tombigbee Waterway. A
beautiful trip and perfect for a trawler. Get off the Mississippi as
soon as you can. It's not fit for recreational boats.

You're a worthless motor boater now but still I wish no harm to you and
yours.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 6, 4:22 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

This morning we entered the Mississippi River, at Grafton IL where the
Illinois River joins the big one. Both rivers are above normal level
with strong current and lots of debris, it really isn't much fun. But
it's a major milestone on the trip and we're looking forward to
getting into calmer waters.

Regards to all-
Doug

If you're going south turn east at the Ohio River and then go up the
Tennessee River then on down the Tennessee/Tombigbee Waterway. A
beautiful trip and perfect for a trawler. Get off the Mississippi as
soon as you can. It's not fit for recreational boats.

You're a worthless motor boater now but still I wish no harm to you and
yours.

Wilbur Hubbard

Oh come on..every American need to take a trip down the mighty
Mississippi.
He can get back on the ICW in New Orleans. He could add 4-5 knots to
his speed.

" men--kings & serfs alike--are slaves to other men & to
circumstance--save alone, the pilot--who comes at no man's back and
call, obeys no man's orders & scorns all men's suggestions. "

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

katysails wrote:
Watch out for the barges....Did you know there are giganticous catfish
in the Mississippi?

Yep
asian jumping carp too.

.... When I lved in St Louis they talked about 200
lbers....yuck....Are you going to Alton? It's a nice spot to stop just
north of St. uis. Some nice antiqu shops etc there...

We're in Alton now, just north of the big suspension bridge. We have a
few days of visiting friends/family in the area, hopefully do some
touristy stuff too. I have been to the Arch before but there's other
good stuff here.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:
If you're going south turn east at the Ohio River and then go up the
Tennessee River then on down the Tennessee/Tombigbee Waterway.

Yep... that's our plan.... after cruising as much of the Cumberland
and Tennessee Rivers as we can. No point in arriving in the Gulf
before at least a week into November.

You're a worthless motor boater now but still I wish no harm to you and
yours.

Gee thanks, I wish you the same. Mellowed over the years, eh?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 6, 4:22 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Or he could get run over by barges that broke loose. Happens all the
time. The Mississsippi is not suited for recreational vessel traffic.
It's ruled by commercial shipping interests. You can and will get run
over if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If his destination is the Gulf he'd be much better of and have a much
more pleasant trip using the Tenn/Tom which comes out in Mobile Bay.

Another thing is Doug probably has no clue that above the Huey P. Long
bridge the navigation rules are slightly different that what he's used
to.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:
If you're going south turn east at the Ohio River and then go up the
Tennessee River then on down the Tennessee/Tombigbee Waterway.

Yep... that's our plan.... after cruising as much of the Cumberland
and Tennessee Rivers as we can. No point in arriving in the Gulf
before at least a week into November.

You're a worthless motor boater now but still I wish no harm to you
and
yours.

Gee thanks, I wish you the same. Mellowed over the years, eh?

DSK

Nope, same old Wilbur. You don't actually believe all the clueless dolts
who think I'm the Good Capt. Neal???

You can go all the way to Nashville on the Cumberland. Some beautiful
bridges there at night. Friendliest people and great fall colors on the
Cumberland. A couple of nice marinas on Lake Cumberland. I envy you that
trip. Last time I did it was about twenty years ago. Still have good
memories of it.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:
Another thing is Doug probably has no clue that above the Huey P. Long
bridge the navigation rules are slightly different that what he's used
to.

Clueless? Gee thanks. I've known about the Western Rivers rules for
decades, just never needed to follow them before. Not a really big
issue though, as long one has the savvy to tune in VHF ch13.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:34:21 -0700, Joe
wrote this crap:

Oh come on..every American need to take a trip down the mighty
Mississippi.

Why? I cruise the Great Lakes. Plenty of islands. Plenty of places
to stop.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.