Default Newbie on the Mississippi River?

Hi,

Sorry to bother you guys but I haven't been able to find much
information in other places.

I am an American who lives in both Finland and Guatemala. Usually at
this time of the year we would be preparing to go to our home in
Guatemala for the summer once school gets out here.

However I've always dreamed of spending time on a houseboat cruising
around the Mississippi river so I just bought this:
http://tinyurl.com/32ukra

The boat is located in Dodge Center, Minnesota. My 15 year old son and
I already had airline tickets to Fort Myers Florida. We will be
arriving there about the 15th of June.

We have no real boating experience. I was a Radarman in the Navy so I
had some experience with navigation and rules of the road.

First of all we want to do the online America's Boating Course. This
page says there is an online version:
http://www.americasboatingcourse.com/

But I can't find it.

Next I haven't been able to find a good online source to Marinas so I
can figure out where to go from Dodge Center, Minnesota.

I was wondering if the Skipper Bob's Cruising From Chicago to Mobile
would be useful.

Also what to do about internet access? I saw the post in here about
WiFi. Are there other options? Do marinas charge extra for this?

Not to mention the dilemma of getting the boat and trailer from Dodge
Center to somewhere. It appears to me that maybe I should buy a cheap
used pickup in Florida and drive to Minnesota to both save on the
airfare and get a rust free vehicle.

Then if we survive the month or so where to store all of this stuff..

Thanks,
Mike Dulin

SharewareRadio.com wrote in
:

I was wondering if the Skipper Bob's Cruising From Chicago to Mobile
would be useful.

With the whole middle of America flooded and water pouring down the
Mississippi towards New Orleans, it probably won't help much:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/05/1....ap/index.html

This is a massive flood. I'm not sure going down the mid-America rivers
is such a good idea under these conditions. That river's going to
roiling and swollen for months! Check around the net's news services
about it. It's a very serious, unusually bad flood!

Larry
--
http://www.noaa.gov/floods.html
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crh/

FLOOD STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PADUCAH KENTUCKY
1100 AM CDT THU MAY 10 2007

....THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE FOLLOWING RIVERS...

MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT CAPE GIRARDEAU AFFECTING
ALEXANDER...JACKSON...
UNION...CAPE GIRARDEAU...PERRY AND SCOTT COUNTIES
MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT THEBES AFFECTING ALEXANDER AND SCOTT COUNTIES

..HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE MISSOURI RIVER BASIN HAS CAUSED RIVER
LEVELS TO RISE DOWNSTREAM ALONG THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT CAPE
GIRARDEAU AND THEBES. THE RIVER IS EXPECTED TO REACH FLOOD STAGE BY
THIS EVENING...AND AT THEBES BY SATURDAY MORNING.

NEVER DRIVE CARS...TRUCKS OR SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES THROUGH FLOODED
AREAS. THE WATER MAY BE TOO DEEP TO ALLOW SAFE PASSAGE. NEVER ALLOW
CHILDREN TO PLAY IN OR NEAR FLOOD WATERS. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER
RADIO OR YOUR LOCAL MEDIA FOR FURTHER STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE UPDATED
FORECASTS.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE AT
HTTP://WWW.CRH.NOAA.GOV/AHPS2/INDEX.PHP?WFO=PAH /LOWER CASE/

ILC003-077-181-MOC031-157-201-112000-
/X.EXT.KPAH.FL.W.0058.070511T0000Z-000000T0000Z/
/CPGM7.2.ER.070511T0000Z.070516T1200Z.000000T0000Z. NO/
1100 AM CDT THU MAY 10 2007

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR
THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT CAPE GIRARDEAU
* FROM THIS EVENING UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE ...OR UNTIL THE WARNING IS
CANCELLED.
* AT 10:00 AM THURSDAY THE STAGE WAS 31.4 FEET.
* MODERATE FLOODING IS FORECAST.
* FLOOD STAGE IS 32.0 FEET.
* FORECAST...RISE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE BY THIS EVENING AND CONTINUE TO
RISE TO NEAR 37.5 FEET BY WEDNESDAY MORNING.
* AT 38.0 FEET...THE FIRST HOMES IN CAPE GIRARDEAU ARE AFFECTED.

On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:27:33 +0300, SharewareRadio.com
wrote:

We have no real boating experience. I was a Radarman in the Navy so I
had some experience with navigation and rules of the road.

My advice is take it slow.

Try the boat out in small doses and get some experience with it. Find
out what works and what doesn't before you commit to a major trip or a
tow vehicle.

wrote:

Hi,

Sorry to bother you guys but I haven't been able to find much
information in other places.

I am an American who lives in both Finland and Guatemala. Usually at
this time of the year we would be preparing to go to our home in
Guatemala for the summer once school gets out here.

However I've always dreamed of spending time on a houseboat cruising
around the Mississippi river so I just bought this:
http://tinyurl.com/32ukra

First, try http://www.marinafinder.com/
Just put in the city. I put in "St. Louis just to see and in came back
with some.

Don't let Larry scare you off. The flooding is expected to last a
while, but all things pass. I really don't think it'll matter that
much anyway. Add quite a bit to your speed going downriver :-) and
should be enough power to handle.

You can check http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/nic2/default.cfm

and http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/info.htm

I couldn't find any info on current speeds. Might be there. I've been
in the river at New Orleans, from one lock to the next. Sometimes the
current is 4, 5 or 6 Kts. I did call them a couple hurricanes ago,
thinking to go up the Atchafalaya River. The gentleman I spoke to was
very nice and gave me all the info I needed. They do currents in ft.
per sec., BTW.

You won't find many, or any marinas on the lower Mississippi. Carry
plenty of gas and some plastic jerry cans for that pleasant walk to a
land service station and back.

First of all we want to do the online America's Boating Course. This
page says there is an online version:
http://www.americasboatingcourse.com/

But I can't find it.

Apparently you have to sign up and pay $$$. It's not going to show you
how to handle a boat - you've got to get some hands on. Any chance of
a course in Finland? I'm sure you can find one in FL or MN. A
suggestion. Launch your vessel in one of MN's many lakes and spend a
few days enjoying that before hitting the river current.

Lots of good info at: http://www.uscgboating.org/

Hope this helps!

Rick

http://www.morelr.com/valkyrie

Take to boat to Lake City, MN. Have it put in there and play on Lake Pepin
for a few days to get the bugs worked out and get familiar with the handling
of the boat. There are two marinas there...one north a couple of miles
(Hanson's Harbor) and one right in town (City owned). Only about an hour or
two's drive from Dodge Center with the trailer. Or you could go to Wabasha,
MN and put in there. There is at least one marina there too. Wabasha is
south of the lake, so that may not be as good a place to put in for your
first time.

You should be able to hire someone to haul it to the river for less than
buying a truck. It isn't that far.

"SharewareRadio.com" wrote in message
[...]

I really appreciate the help. Yes I agree with the go try a lake
first idea.

Can't really do the hands on boating here in Finland without owning a
boat.

The marina search site is a real boon too.

Thanks,
Mike

wrote:

[...]

The area your boat is in, is the most beautiful part of the Mississippi.
On the Mississippi just stay between the buoys, that is the channel and is
11ft deep minimum.
Going up river, green buoy to the right.
Once you are used to the river, you can venture off the channel.
All kinds of sand to pull up onto and spend the night or longer (free).
From LaCrosse, Wisconsin to Dubuque, Iowa you will see bald Eagle all over
the place. This part of the river is called God's Country for good reason.
I personally do not go farther south than Davenport, Iowa.
It just becomes a mud river with high levees you can not see over.
Send me a private email and I will give be glad to show you around the
river.
I sail mostly from Lansing, Iowa to LaCrosse.
No depth charts for the river as it goes up and down based on rainfall.
But Corp of Engineers have free charts.
http://www.tec.army.mil/echarts/
Also you can get a spiral book with CD of the charts from the Corps St. Paul
office $28
Quimby's Cruising Guide has listings of Marina and boat docks on the
Mississippi. $39 spiral book.
Big thing to remember, we have huge tugs and they have the right away
always.
They can not stop nor maneuver very well and will suck your boat under if
you get too close.
Also stay away from bridge pilings. The current can smash your boat into the
piling and it is not fun.
The river has rock wing dams just below the surface and just off the
channel.
They usually run at right angle to shore. So if going to shore watch for
ripples and always turn straight to shore, not run parallel to shore unless
in the channel.
Hope that helps you and enjoy the river.

PS Florida vehicles are rusty. The salt air gets to them as bad as road salt
up north (unless it's an inland vehicle).

Hi,

Does anyone know if these Nautical GPS Software Marine Navigation
Digital Charts sold on eBay are any good?

http://tinyurl.com/2pyguz

Thanks,
Mike