Default Mississippi river and PWC

I have just gotten into the whole sport of Personal water craft. I
would like to know if it's possible to go jet skiing down the
mississippi river. If not the whole river, at least maybe sections of
it. Not that I plan on ever boating down the whole river. I would
just like to know how this river is regulated. I would like to know
about speed regulations. About water skiing regulations. And about
where might the "no wake" zones might be, that is if there are any.

Has anyone here ever done such a thing before? I have a feeling that
the river if full of all sorts of traffic from heavy industries. Coal
being transported through there in huge quantities. I've seen it
before years ago on a family vacation. From the highway, that is.

East-

Thanks in Advance.

I run my PWC (as well as my boat) on the Ohio River. It is also a
major transport river. The barges are no real issue as long as you are
not so stupid as to ride too close or stop close enough in front of
one to be unable to swim well clear of it before it could reach you.
There is no more danger riding a PWC than running a pleasure boat on a
river. Givenm the propensity of bars and other low water areas on the
Mississippi, as compared to the upper Ohio, I would say that a PWC
with little draft is probably even more suited to the river than a
pleasure boat. Unless the Mississippi is far different from the Ohio,
thereare no speed regulations, no river wide no wake zones, etc. Of
course if you are near major port areas the traffic may be a bit
heavy, but I have ridden in many industrial areas with no problems.

Dave Hall

On 3 Jul 2006 22:40:55 -0700, wrote:

I have just gotten into the whole sport of Personal water craft. I
would like to know if it's possible to go jet skiing down the
mississippi river. If not the whole river, at least maybe sections of
it. Not that I plan on ever boating down the whole river. I would
just like to know how this river is regulated. I would like to know
about speed regulations. About water skiing regulations. And about
where might the "no wake" zones might be, that is if there are any.

Has anyone here ever done such a thing before? I have a feeling that
the river if full of all sorts of traffic from heavy industries. Coal
being transported through there in huge quantities. I've seen it
before years ago on a family vacation. From the highway, that is.

East-

Thanks in Advance.

Dave,

I run the Upper Mississippi every summer usually St. Paul to Northern
Iowa and back. I have been down as far as St Louis.

There is a lot to see and many friendly people in the small river
towns.

North of Dubuque you will find a nice sand beach about every few miles.
These are provided by the Army Core Dredging maintaining the 9 foot
channel. The beaches are great for overnight camping.

Be sure to pick up a Quimby's River Guide ($20 at any river marina).
It is a must. A very useful guide listing marinas and attractions
along the way. Unless you have large fuel reserves, you will need a
Quimby's. I'd guess fuel will be your main concern. There are a few
stretches without much fuel.

I will try to monitor the thread in case you have specific questions.

Dan