posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default bilge pump maintenance

On Aug 23, 12:21 am, Ringmaster wrote:
My boat only has a manual bilge pump. What's really a waste is an
electric bilge pump. They just pump until the battery goes dead and
then the boat sinks.

Ever hear of a float switch ?

I have electric, manual and gasoline.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 23, 12:21 am, Ringmaster wrote:
My boat only has a manual bilge pump. What's really a waste is an
electric bilge pump. They just pump until the battery goes dead and
then the boat sinks.

Ever hear of a float switch ?

I have electric, manual and gasoline.

Joe

Well, float switches do jam open (or closed) occasionally, but I have a
manual and electric (2). I'd rather have a dead battery than a sunk boat.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 23, 10:20 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 23, 12:21 am, Ringmaster wrote:
My boat only has a manual bilge pump. What's really a waste is an
electric bilge pump. They just pump until the battery goes dead and
then the boat sinks.

Ever hear of a float switch ?

I have electric, manual and gasoline.

Joe

Well, float switches do jam open (or closed) occasionally, but I have a
manual and electric (2). I'd rather have a dead battery than a sunk boat.

--
"j" ganz

You are correct Jon, but it's rare if you keep things clean and neat.
Remember that's what an Amp meter and a voltage meter is for. I watch
for cycles and make sure I do not have a steady pump running. My AC
drips into a sump box, with the shower, so I always look at the amp
meter to make sure the float switches are all working right.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 23, 10:20 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I agree with that also. I keep the sole clean, and I'm always testing the
float switch or cleaning it. I was fortunate that even when I had an
electrical problem and nearly dead batteries, the electric bilge seemed to
be the last man standing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
...seemed to be the last man standing.

Must you include a gay reference in every post?

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

How much water can your manual bilge pump pump when you are not aboard?

Do you stay aboard 24/7?

If you do not stay aboard 24/7 don't you think having an electric bilge
pump with automatic float switch might be a smart move?

You keep your boat in a slip, I believe. If you're in a slip then
connect to the shore power outlet. A small ten-amp built-in battery
charger will run a bilge pump indefinitely. Of course, most electric
bilge pumps have limited capacity compared to the horsepower a man with
a bucket can apply but a man with a bucket can't apply any horsepower if
he's not aboard.

Maybe Bobsprit is right about your ineptitude when it comes to boats???

Wilbur Hubbard

The Boob doesn't know squat. He's never right about anything. I
don't need a electric bilge pump. I don't have shore power (although
the boat was pre wired at the factory) When I leave the boat I close
all thru hulls even if I'm coming back the next day. I have no water
leaks except for a small amount that enters the mast when it rains.
Now tell me why I should fart with an electric bilge pump.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Ever hear of a float switch ?

I have electric, manual and gasoline.

You have a gasoline float switch? I hope the switch & the pump it
controls are both non-sparking.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ringmaster wrote:
The Boob doesn't know squat. He's never right about anything.

Well, sure... but then remember, he's not *really* an obnoxious twit,
he's just "playing" a character.

... I
don't need a electric bilge pump. I don't have shore power (although
the boat was pre wired at the factory) When I leave the boat I close
all thru hulls even if I'm coming back the next day.

So does anyone with a lick of sense.
I'm amazed at the number of people who don't close their seacocks...
in fact I know a couple of boaters who don't know where all their
seacocks are.

Now tell me why I should fart with an electric bilge pump.

To test whether it's non-sparking?

Another thing I should mention, since we're on the subject: dirt &
debris can and most certainly will clog a bilge pump. Earlier on this
cruise, some friends with a new & fancy boat had a problem with an
engine raw water line flooding their bilge. Their electric bilge pump
kept up with the inflow at first, but then clogged with dust &
fiberglass debris from the builders... the incoming water washed it
from under a variety of inaccessible pockets & voids into the bilge
sump.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:49:05 -0700, Ringmaster
wrote this crap:

The Boob doesn't know squat. He's never right about anything. I
don't need a electric bilge pump. I don't have shore power (although
the boat was pre wired at the factory) When I leave the boat I close
all thru hulls even if I'm coming back the next day. I have no water
leaks except for a small amount that enters the mast when it rains.
Now tell me why I should fart with an electric bilge pump.

You'll understand when you get a leak.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ringmaster" wrote:

Now tell me why I should fart with an electric bilge pump.

To see if the methane and the switch react?

Seahag

Help with bilge pump installation il_papa General 5 December 12th 06 06:40 PM
Bilge Pump Upgrade Marc Boat Building 21 March 10th 06 02:59 AM
Which Bilge Pump? Chris Boat Building 18 December 18th 05 12:03 AM
Which Bilge Pump? Chris Cruising 18 December 18th 05 12:03 AM
Bilge Pump jflash General 11 June 1st 05 01:00 PM