posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default bilge pump maintenance

Ringmaster wrote:
The Boob doesn't know squat. He's never right about anything.

Well, sure... but then remember, he's not *really* an obnoxious twit,
he's just "playing" a character.

... I
don't need a electric bilge pump. I don't have shore power (although
the boat was pre wired at the factory) When I leave the boat I close
all thru hulls even if I'm coming back the next day.

So does anyone with a lick of sense.
I'm amazed at the number of people who don't close their seacocks...
in fact I know a couple of boaters who don't know where all their
seacocks are.

Now tell me why I should fart with an electric bilge pump.

To test whether it's non-sparking?

Another thing I should mention, since we're on the subject: dirt &
debris can and most certainly will clog a bilge pump. Earlier on this
cruise, some friends with a new & fancy boat had a problem with an
engine raw water line flooding their bilge. Their electric bilge pump
kept up with the inflow at first, but then clogged with dust &
fiberglass debris from the builders... the incoming water washed it
from under a variety of inaccessible pockets & voids into the bilge
sump.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King